Stag Model 8

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Illinifan007, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Illinifan007

Illinifan007 New Member

I shot my buddies' stag and loved it but how does it compare against an Adam's Arms or a Windham Weaponry piston ar? Im considering ordering one but since Stag is about 4 weeks out of production is it worth the wait over the other two?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  2. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Honestly, I can't compare to either of your other choices, as I've only handled the Model 8.

I highly suggest you try out a DI gun and shot it back to back with the Model 8.

3. MrWray

MrWray New Member

IMO the piston ARs shoot a little cleaner, but to me the added weight is pretty signifigant and isnt worth the switch. I own a Stag model 2 and its a very solid and reliable rifle. Its your decision but i would stick with the DI

4. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

There's a lot of hype, and sales pitching going around. In practical everyday shooting and use, I don't see the need for a piston in my armory. YMMV.

Plus I really really don't like the Model 8s recoil impulse. It was really bad IMO.

5. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Looks like Adams Arms piston kit.

6. Illinifan007

Illinifan007 New Member

Thanks guys, I looked into a couple different ones and I was able to shoot a colt m4 and a dpms panther and I still think the model 8 even though it is a little heavier is a wonderful ar...ugh decisions decisions

7. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I have been trying to decide on a gas or piston upper for my first AR, I have decided to go with a mid length gas upper, if someday I decide I need the piston I will convert it or buy another AR

8. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I agree with you on the DI system. I have a stag model 1. Have or did you have any problems with steel casings?

(Sry for the hi-jack OP)

9. Illinifan007

Illinifan007 New Member

Well guys its been awhile since Ive been on here but I got the model 8 and a red dot and its shooting great so far, thanks for all the info gentlemen and keep fighting the good fight