Stag Model 1 and Model 2

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by dropzone40, Mar 16, 2012.

1. dropzone40

dropzone40 New Member

What is the difference between the Stag Model 1 and Model 2, besides $9? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I think the only difference is that the mod 2 is a flat topive got a mod 1 and its great, but I think I'm going to make it a flat top for better optic mounting.

3. dropzone40

dropzone40 New Member

Doesn't the carry handle on the Model 1 just attach on the top rail and is detachable?

4. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

The 1 comes w/ carry handle and the 2 has a flip-up rear.

5. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

The new model 1 has a detachable carry handle, the older ones do not.

6. dropzone40

dropzone40 New Member

Is it the lack of sights that keep the Model 3 less expensive, or something else?

7. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Yes. If you read the specs on the websight it will tell you all you want to know.

You thinking of buying Stag?

8. Southpaw-15

Southpaw-15 New Member

I want a model 3L w/ the plus pkg!

9. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

My model 1 is "milspec" and has a 16" bull barrel. Great gun! I hit a coke can at 200yds with it open sights Saturday.

The ONLY problem I've had with mine is that it wouldn't cycle Wolf ammo early on, but now it does. Guess it just needed to be shot more?

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Being that it is sporting the bull barrel kinda trashes the "milspec" thing, right.

11. dropzone40

dropzone40 New Member

Ya I'm looking into the model 2 if I can get my hands on one. It has to be "post-ban" though because the state that I live in chooses to restrict fun instead of crime.

12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

The Stag Model 1 is the same as the Model 2 except: The Model 1 has the A-2 Removable Carry Handle/Rear Sight and the Model 2 Has just the flat top with a flip up rear sight which I would recommend. Since you can easily mount and Optic in front of the rear flip up sight. To mount an optic on the top of the A-2 Carry Handle is not a tactical good thing since your head is then so far above the rifle to look through the optic. Providing more exposure while shooting. Or you would need to buy an additional cantilever rail to mount the optic in front of the Carry Handle. You could always take the A-2 Carry Handle off of the Model 1 but then you would have no rear iron sight. So in my opinion the only way to go is the Model 2. Stag also makes a good rifle like several others so you can not go wrong there!:D

13. dropzone40

dropzone40 New Member

Ya the stags are great. If I ended up with a Model 1 I'd just take the carry handle off and buy a flip up rear sight anyways and then mount some sort of optic, so I really would save me some money getting the model 2 because then I wouldn't have to buy my own flip up rear sight.

14. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

If you're looking for value there's none better than BCM.