stag arms plus package

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by jj1, Jan 28, 2012.

1. jj1

jj1 New Member

looking at getting a stag arms 2TL and was wondering if it was worth getting the plus package kind of new to the ar rifles but one of the main differences is you get a 1-7 twist barrell instead of 1-9 here are what they list as the plus package for $100 more

4150 barrel steel chrome lined
    - 1/7 Twist rifling
    - M4 feed ramps
    - Individually MP & HP tested and marked Bolt & Barrel
    - M-16 Bolt Carrier
    - Heavy (H) buffer assembly
    - One extra 30rd USGI Magazine (two total)*

2. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

What ammo are you planning on shooting?

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Personally, I would pay the extra $100 for the MPI and HP testing of the barrel and bolt, M4 ramps and full auto BCG...1:7 twist versus 1:9 alone, not so much unless I was planning on sending heavy rounds long distances.

Are all the options above available only on the plus package? Some builders will do the true mil spec MPI and HP testing on every barrel and bolt and use the M4 extension on all their products. Of course the price may be equal to what you plan to pay for the STAG which is no slouch in the quality dept.

4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

the heavy buffer and extra mag are probly a good 40 dollar value easy. id say go for the plus package.

i own a stag model 4 and love it. i have added a custom heavy buffer for it and have been very happy. stag makes pretty top notch stuff, and also has a great lifetime warranty

5. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

If you're gonna go Stag (rofl) that $100 package is definately worth the premium to me.....if only for the lifetime warranty. They do have really good CS.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  6. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Ive had my Stag model 2 for a few years now, its been 100% reliable. I have nothing bad to say about it

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well you get a lot for that extra $100 but I guess the question is how much is the bottom line cost and how does it compare to other brands.

8. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

I'll go back to my original question, what type of ammo are you planning to run? There's a stability issue with a 1/7 vs 1/9 twist rate. Stag makes a nice gun, worked on quite a few, my question was regarding the twist. Are you shooting 70 grain match rounds?

9. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

It makes no sense to me that they are charging people EXTRA to do what others like BCM do as standard. It's BS that these manufacturers do this and that people actually let them.

10. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I think that the 1:9 twist is the perfect medium

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

That same argument can be made for 1:7.

Anyway, Belltactical is right, the OP needs to clarify what ammo he'll normally be using before a recommendationcan be made for him.

12. jj1

jj1 New Member

not planning on shooting alot of heavy rounds may shoot a few will probably shoot mostly 55 and 60 grainers

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well 55 to 60gr is the sweet spot for both 1:9 and 1:7. You might want to consider what you're most likely to shoot outside that range and choose the twist that fits best.

14. jamesb

jamesb New Member

Are you set on Stag or have you looked at others? Like another member said they are charging you more for something other companies do to every AR they sell. Price compare to Daniel Defense and BCM. I think you will find that overall the DD and BCM offer better packages and more for your money than the Stag does.

Figure out what you want to do with it.

Do you plan to shoot thousands of rounds through it each year? Take courses? Keep for Home Defense or a SHTF situation? Go to the range with it once a month and shoot a couple hundred rounds?

Figure out what you want to do with it first. Then start shopping around for ARs that meet those needs.

15. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

If you plan on using some of the lighter 40-45 gr HP rounds for home defense, you'll be better served with a 1/9 twist. You can go all the way from that to the 62 gr 855 green tips without any tumblers.