Stag Arms Model 8 pros/cons?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Armed-Citizen, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Armed-Citizen

Armed-Citizen New Member

was in the market looking for a Stag Arms Model 8..has anyone had some experience with the Model 8? pros/cons besides the short stroke piston system?

2. heartlessmcfly

heartlessmcfly New Member

Piston driven keeps the upper receiver cleaner and cooler... Thats about it. If you are using semi auto, doesn't matter if it is di or piston.

Piston - easier to clean upper, cooler to run

Di - been around for decades, works

I was looking at the Stag 8 but settled for the model 2 t and love it. Also bought a Stag 5 h

Sent from my DROID RAZR using FirearmsTalk

3. Armed-Citizen

Armed-Citizen New Member

thanks for the input, ive too looked at different ar15 makers and come to the conclusion of getting the stag model 8.. is stag arms a decent company in terms o quality compared to say S&W or Colt? i know Stag used to make parts for S&W before

4. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

As a owner of both, DI and piston, one is not cleaner that the other.

I'm not a fan of Stag either, middle of the road and over priced for what you get. I would probably look around for an alternative such as BCM. $1k can get you a high quality AR if you look in the right places.

5. Armed-Citizen

Armed-Citizen New Member

im assuming the 1k bcm is D.I.?

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Under $1k, roughly $930. It's a more proven manufacturer and system. If you're not firing FA a piston system really has no benefits. It does have cons however like added weight up front, more moving mass, and commonly over gassed.

7. Armed-Citizen

Armed-Citizen New Member

the only benefit i see from a piston system referring to firing FA, the other advantage i see is that it will take longer for one to clean the insides

8. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Don't do it. If you're gonna go with a piston system choose another system. I've had personal experience with the Model 8. Letting it go was the easiest thing to do.

While I wouldn't say that recoil was harsh like a .308 or 30-60, it is harsh. I attribute the recoil impulse it to the piston slamming into the carrier. I liken it to putting your face on an anvil and having your buddy smack the anvil with a ball peen hammer. Not very pleasant feeling.

And the impulse isn't smooth, its much harder to control when doing controlled pairs or rapid fire. DIs are much smoother and easiler to control. Now I haven't written off pistons completely and would like to get my hands on a factory Adams Arms, POF, LWRC, LMT, or ADCOR BEAR. But would personally never buy a piston again unless I had a chance to test drive it first. Besides DIs haven't failed me yet.

One last thing, that piston design was heavy. Solid and ruggedly designed, but seriously nose heavy.

The only good thing about the Model 8 is.....crap I was about to say price.....but DIs are soo much cheaper.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  9. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

The bolt carrier group is cooler and cleaner...the piston itself is a nasty, HOT bastard....cleaner BCG is the only advantage that I can tell.

10. Armed-Citizen

Armed-Citizen New Member

would bcm be a good ar brand in D.i. system? only thing i give gas piston system ar's is in an example of shooting constantly, and takes longer to do maintence and comparing to a D.i., D.i.'s components wear faster due to the residue going into the insides and heats it up too...

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I disagree with all of the above except that the BCM is an excellent choice. The piston's supposed advantages vaporize in the real world.

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

None of that is true.

Like most of us have said cleaning isn't easier, doesn't take less time, and the pro of FA is not worth the cons even if you were going to be firing FA.

DI's do not wear faster.

Where did you get this information?

13. Armed-Citizen

Armed-Citizen New Member

i recognize that cleaning will take a good amount of time but how many rounds later will i have to clean it compared to a D.i. style ar

14. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Um ok. Iono in the course of a day I've gone through 1k+ rounds with a di runing and gunning and doing rapid fire drill. No.failures to speak of, and un believably I did this all with a DI gun, in the desert. Shooting prone, rolling around a bit too, getting down and dirty. Its just a good old time. Unbelieveably I did it again, and again, and you know what I'm gonna do it again in a couple of weeks.

15. Armed-Citizen

Armed-Citizen New Member

i see what you mean but using this as a example. lets say you clean @ 1500 rounds, at that point im still shooting and havent needed to clean the piston driven...not trying to offend, just trying to express what i mean (no offense)

16. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I do admit. The bcg gets no where near as dirty as a DI's. But ther gas port does get nice and fouled with lots of nice carbon build up.

I like to spend a good 20 mins cleaning each of my DIs if I have the time. Picking all the carbon off the bcg does take a bit of time. But if I'm in a rush, bore snake the barrel a couple time, lube my bcg and I'm done. 3 minutes flat and I wouldn't think twice about going through another case of 5.56.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  17. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Armed Citizen, double that and it's what my Daniel Defense ate w/o failure before seeing any sort of real TLC.

There is also an article titled Filthy 14. The subject of that story is an AR (BCM) that went 50k rounds in EAG carbin courses w/ no more cleaning than a wipe down.

You are more than welcome here but sit back and absorb the info given. You'll be better off for it.

Piston ARs are fine but have some important cons and no real pros for the average shooter.

18. heartlessmcfly

Geez, I clean my rifle after every range trip regardless if I shot 20 rounds or 1000

19. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

:D

I used to do the same thing...matter of fact, I bought my LWRCI specifically so I wouldn't have to tear down the BCG after EVERY trip. I'm just lazy that way.

After talking w/some of these guys, I've come to the conclusion that a pristine rifle.....it's not necessary.

I still don't let them go more than a couple thousand rounds tho....

20. heartlessmcfly

I actually enjoy cleaning them. After a day at the range, I strip then down. Makes a whole day out of it between the range and cleaning. Gives me some time away from the misses too!