STAG Arms AR15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by dog2000tj, Jul 27, 2009.

1. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I've been waiting quite a while to post this up. :( It's not really a build as it is more of an assembly. Last fall I decided to get an AR and get back into shooting/hunting. I settled on a STAG Arms model 3, but no dealer local to me could/would get me one. So I took some advice from some of the members here and decided to get the parts and assemble it myself. :eek:

I picked up a lower rather quickly online,
    S5031040.JPG

Then I ordered some parts,
    S5032722.jpg
    Model 3 Complete Upper
    6 Position Collapsible Stock
    Ergo Grip
    RRA NM 2 Stage Trigger
    YHM EZ Take Down Pins

So now I need to order the iron sights and red dot scope. I'm going to wait on the magnifier and a new foreguard until after I get her broken in.

I hope to have her assembled and get to the range this weekend. :)

It's Christmas in July :D

2. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Real nice set-up Dog! Let us know how she performs - I am interested in knowing how that upper works out. I see Model 3 uppers advertised in Shotgun News and was wondering how they performed.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009

3. Expeditioner

Expeditioner New Member

I have own two STAG's: a Model 1 and a Model 2T. Both have performed well. You get a lot of bang for the buck.

4. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I completely forgot about this thread ..... :(. So i haven't had a chance to get out and do anything at the range or do anything with my firearms. Until recently ..... i finally got around to getting some parts and made a spur of the moment purchase at a local shop on some optics - local pricing was really good.

So here's a little update on the my STAG AR15 -
    1. I had her put her all together,
    S5033474.jpg

she sat like this - shamefully - because I have not had time to get out and shoot her.

2. Then I got some new parts,
    S5031233.jpg

some of which I didn't like and some which were not needed. So I got smore.

3. So now I have her finished and ready to shoot,
    S5031600.jpg
    S5031236.jpg
    S5031602.jpg

Now I just need you all to be a little more patient with me since I wont get to the range until Labor Day weekend. I picked up 200rds of 3 manufacturers to do the break in and fine tuning. ;)

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Good going dog. We'll wait for the range report and don't forget the pictures. :D

6. astroman

astroman Supporting Member Supporter

So....? How's does it shoot? I gotta believe that by now you have "broken" her in. I am getting started on my build now...

7. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Looks good dog. Since no one answered my thread about Stag lowers, I'll take this to mean that the Stag lowers are GTG.

8. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

she runs like a champ considering i treat her like an adopted red header butters ;)

I've got a few range reports on her posted around, one of them is linked in my signature. I have another where I laid waste on some zombie targets I got from one of FTF's vendors :p

Here in VT I try to shoot all year long .. in the snow, rain, mud, whatever. I plan on doing an overhaul on her to fine tune her for what she was built for ... EOTWHSHTFZA battle rifle :cool:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Dog, somehow I missed this thread the first time. Nice pictures and a nice story! Glad you got it all together like you wanted it. I kinda did the same thing building an ArmaLite from parts.

10. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

the rebuild is due to some of the original plans not working out like I had hoped/thought. I've got some ideas and have been doing some research so hopefully when work slows down here at Thanksgiving I can get started on it.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yeah it seems the original plan never is the way it ends up but that's because we figure things out along the way, improving the "plan"! The important thing is that the initial plan doesn't paint you in a corner. That's one reason I do things like you do and start with a stripped lower. Once I get the lower built, plans for the upper seem to fall in place naturally.

12. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

exactly ... why I enjoyed this AR section over any others. If I had bought an AR first I would have been royally pissed when I found out how easy it is to assemble one! :mad: The rebuild is more about reliability/use issues than anything else. I couldn't be happier with how she functions and shoots now ... but mud/rain/snow/abuse are realities of life ... my battle rifle is NOT a safe queen :cool:

13. rab

rab New Member

Mine is a Stag Mdl-1. Looks a little different now. Is that a PRI MSTN muzzle break? How you like it?

14. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I don't know if that is the exact model but it is similar looking ... I hate it! :mad: I only have it because when I purchased the upper I was still living in NY. That is one of the items that will be getting changed out with v2.0 ;)

15. rab

rab New Member

There should be a name on top and/or bottom. Looks are one thing. How does it shoot? I think there are a few with that profile. Jerry's, PRI-MSTN, Beenie I think. Try timing it before you call it quits. Roxienow.jpg

16. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Looks great dog. I definitely understand changing plans as you go. My rifle is slightly different from my original plans, and I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  17. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

no doing nada with it :cool: Going to be install a Smith Enterprises Vortex flash hider ;)

18. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

thats sweet.. what parts are on the stock? they look great and i think i might get them as well for my wifes rifle.

19. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

the stock is a CAA adjustable with cheek riser. It is a nice stock but for someone my size it is just a little too small. For a precision stock I would lean towards the Magpul PRS and for an adjustable battle stock I may give the Voltor EMOD stock next.

20. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

I work on guns,but have only dabbled in ARs. How hard is it to put these things together, and get it right, head spacing and stuff like that? I am assuming that all parts are probably milspec. Are they all put together the same? Didn't carry an M16, just a 45, so I didn't really have one of my own take one apart. Was assigned to weapons platoon, so I can do M-60.