Stack-on drawer safe

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by chloeshooter, Feb 18, 2013.

1. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I was at Gander Mountain yesterday and saw this on-sale for $39. (They are closing this out and it usually sells for $79).

This is a VERY sturdy drawer safe. Perfect for 2 full-size pistols and extra magazines. I'll admit, a bio-metric would be faster to access, but this is pretty close. I've practiced opening this in the dark a bunch.

Attached Files:

2. vincent

vincent New Member

Good score, I have the exact same one but paid $50 IIRC...

Keep those batteries fresh!!! :)

3. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Yeah I bought the expensive alkaloid batteries for this job

4. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

Does that have mounting holes as well? And is there a key to open in case of battery failure? I have a larger version of that safe, but it stands upright rather than lays down. It's mounted in a bathroom vanity in the master suite, and it does have keys as well. Very sturdy as well.

5. sbach311

sbach311 New Member

I have the same one also, and yes it does have a key. I mounted it in my drawer and it works perfect for 2 pistols

6. sirhc

sirhc New Member

I think you paid $30.00 too much.

Fast forward to 19:30
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Wzt0vJvOI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Or you can open these type of safe locks even easier. Do you have a potato?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyGhEIbZLUU&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

7. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

two holes in the back plus hardware. yes there is a key access as well

8. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

9. sirhc

sirhc New Member

Saying they are not worth anymore than $9 they are way too easy to open. Not kid proof and not close to being theft proof.

10. 38special

38special New Member

If you watched the videos you would realize they are not quality safes nor are they safe..

11. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Two words; oh $hit!

12. AR10

AR10 New Member

This still affords some measure of security. May want to use this, till your eye catches something a little better.

Congratulations on knowing your firearms need security. That is better than many people.

13. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

This safe is for keeping honest people honest. If a thief wants to get into any drawer type safe they can -

14. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Lol all safes can be accessed. My kids have been raised to respect other folks property. This safe, while not top end for sure, is better than none at all............find me a drawer safe that can't be accessed by a professional thief?

15. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

That is way more resposible than all those people that keep their gun in a drawer that doesnt even have a safe in it. I have the upright one mounted in my closet. I have two carry guns that I swap out a couple times a day. All the other guns are in a big safe in the garage.

16. 38special

38special New Member

While something is better then nothing, they should be called storage boxes not safes. The fact that a 3 year old boy died from entering one of these so easily is enough for me to not give them my business...

17. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

tell you what - you give me your safe brand make, model, etc. I'll come back with a guy on youtube breaking into it. I am willing to wager.....but it has to be a safe that you own, not something you look up (pics for proof)

If I end up to be wrong I'll admit it (somewhat shamefully and reluctantly, but I'll still admit it lol)

18. FAS1

FAS1 Member

This follow up story is from my local TV station and aired a couple weeks ago. The reporter used a paper clip and got in the safe in under 22 seconds! Looks like the same model that's in the video. Not very secure, but if your kids are taught to respect other peoples property, they probably won't mess with it. What about their friends? A thief will just take it and open it later if not bolted down. I just wouldn't store a HD gun in it all the time. Should be fine for night time storage when you are there.

http://www.kens5.com/news/Unsafe-safes-Death-of-3-year-old-raises-questions-about-household-gun-safes-191334211.html

19. sirhc

sirhc New Member

Here is the difference that any sane person could figure out. Yes any safe can be defeated but its one thing to be able to open one with a paper clip or a potato. They are junk. There are some out there under $100 that are quite good. Maybe you could take the time to watch this one. It will give you hints on what to look for and even shows you the good and bad.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yr6ATdaDQ8&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

20. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

The safe I purchased serves it's purpose. For my circumstance. That's what matters not whether or not it meets your purposes. I know you believe you are being helpful but to he honest you are coming across as condescending and I don't really care for that.