St. Etienne Musket Reproduction or Real?

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by chrisweber1978, Oct 21, 2010.

1. chrisweber1978

chrisweber1978 New Member

I recently inherited some guns and came across this ST. Etienne muzzle loader. Its in real good condition so I cant tell if its real or a reproduction. Any help as to year and value would be great.

Attached Files:

2. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I don't know a great deal about them but I do know that if that is the real thing then it is in AMAZING condition for it's age for what I've seen in the past. A-****ing-mazing. I do know that the a lot of them had an 18mm bore diameter. Some where near the butt on the right side (could be wrong, may be left side. Going by an old scotch drounded memory) it should have a stamp reading "Felix Escoffier" and the year made. I'm thinking they stopped making them in 1873 or 1874; Thinking 73.
    As for the value, I dunno. But I would be willing to take it off your hands; real deal or not. That thing's just too big and will take up far too much space. You don't need that around your home and I care enough to help you out on this one.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010

3. Reinhard

Reinhard New Member Supporter

difficult to tell from this picture ,personaly I think this is a replica but I need to see pictures of the barrel stamps to be sure

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  4. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

It's not an original. Could be a pedersoli, they made copies of the French muskets. Looks like their copy of the 1777 Revolutionnaire.
    Category Details - Davide Pedersoli & C.

BTW St. Etienne is a city not a manufacturer.