St. Charles, Mo. Gunshow - Read This !

Discussion in 'Gun Shows' started by sheriffjohn, Sep 1, 2020.

1. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Rented table to get out after 4 months self "quarantine" on farm. My usual stuff except no pistols, two muzzle-loaders (southern mountain flint and .54 T/C) due to recent "troubles" in St. Louis area. 9mm and 5.56 offered at sometimes TRIPLE normal prices. AR's ad AK's far outnumbered most everything else long gun wise. Semi-auto pistols same thing. WTH?
    Not the "normal" crowd of collectors, hunters, gun-nuts although they were the majority.

Dozens and dozens of young African Americans toting and buying AR/AK pistols, semi-auto pistols, 9mm, 5.56, 7.62 x 39 ammo. Most common question to me was "You got any 9mm or .300 blackout bullets?" A "straw purchase" attempt was reported to a police officer and an arrest made which was announced over the p.a. but it was obvious that such was being tried within my view. Thank goodness the dealers were all doing the proper background checks that I saw and refused to sell without them, period, to anyone. As one told me "This is my living. It's not worth it to make a few dollars more and take the chance." I agreed with him.

I am about the most un-bigoted person you will ever know but being an old cop it's not hard to pick out a bad apple when it's right in front of you. If these were sold to protect homes, families, and property that's great and fine and appropriate but I really fear some will not be used for the good of polite society. Which is why I'll stick to selling my old stuff at city gunshows. "Hey look this old guy's selling his musket."

2. OldManMontgomery

OldManMontgomery Active Member

I too spent my working life finding out what people didn't want me to know (Border Patrol and Customs). Sounding immodest, I'm a fast learner. I trust what you say. I'm familiar with the process - which is at times automatic.

BullMoose429 likes this.

3. Les Moore

Les Moore Well-Known Member

The media, and anti-gunners perpetuated the rumor, about "easy gun purchases, at gun shows", and now, the general public is seeing, in person, that buying a gun ISN'T as easy as "ordering a pizza", after all.

They all thought Gun Control was a big joke, but now they want a gun, and as the reality of our world sinks in, suddenly it's not funny, anymore...

BullMoose429 likes this.
  4. OldManMontgomery

OldManMontgomery Active Member

This clearly demonstrates, despite the claim of the decision and policy maker democrat, the real purpose of 'gun control' is and always has been acquisition of power. Rank and file democrat believed the propaganda that passing a law would deter an established criminal from breaking any new laws - like taking a gun to rob a liquor store or something similar. Or the murder rate will drop due to laws keeping me or you from buying a firearm without filling out forms to show we follow the law.

I'm on my soapbox again. I'll get down now.

Ghost1958 and BullMoose429 like this.
  5. BullMoose429

BullMoose429 Well-Known Member Supporter

I’ve noticed the same thing too- most vendors at gun shows are gun dealers, and the ones who aren’t usually have pretty trashy tables- guns all rusted up. The unlicensed vendors are usually pretty freakin looking too- so tube real gun dealers tend to get most of the business because they don’t look like they walked off the set of the hills have eyes. That’s how it seems to be in Maine. In New Mexico I found private sales more common at gun shows.

winds-of-change and Rifling82 like this.
  6. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

In ky I'd wager the largest " gun show" if it could be called that is the famous rt 60 yard sale.
    Tables and tables of yard sales from one end of the state to the other in one weekend. And tons of those tables are loaded down with private sale firearms of all types.
    Along with the other annual festivals like court days, sourgum festival etc etc that always have a lot of private individuals with booths selling guns summer and fall here if one has the cash one can find about any firearm one wants.

winds-of-change likes this.
  7. sheriffjohn

Like many others, I've reached a point in life when it's time to rid my family of the burden of disposing of many accumulated things. Not only firearms related but antique and "vintage" items as well. Gunshows are my first choice for gun stuff. However, it doesn't take a skilled profiler to see where some of the items were headed. "Known or should've known" has been my guiding phrase for the last 40 years. Tracing a firearm used in a crime back to me is not rocket science - and not a problem I wish to bring upon myself. I'll stick to sporting, antique, and black powder sales for the immediate future at gunshow sales in urban areas.

Goodness knows there's enough sitting around here to keep me busy for years.

8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

A lot of black folks are worried about having to defend them selves from Right-Wingers.

9. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

And you have thr NFAC lowering its member age to 18. Which has alot of black folks looking for AR and Ak.

But defense isnt what is driving the majority of those gun sales.

I havent seen any normal militia or armed " right wing " folks out tearing down towns, killing cops, soccer moms or elderly folks.

Sniper03 likes this.
  10. sheriffjohn

That's true and I spoke with and helped several obviously not thug-appearing folks who were looking for self-defense firearms including two ladies who said they were not safe in their own homes. Others were there with theiir sons who, just like me, were interested in shooting and hunting. Not what concerns me.

Scalpers among the dealers were well-represented as well which serves no one but themselves. Missouri is one of the firearms freedome supporting states. Apparently Illinois is not. Thus, I got to talk to quite a few Illinois folks in those two days who were looking to make purchases without the FOID card hassle. Whether or not there is a FOID card requirement for ammo, I know not. Because the live ammo I sell is pretty well all collector stuff, as long as the purchaser is 18 years old I think I'm safe. Probably not many drive-bys done with 45-70, 25-20, or .32 rimfires these days.

Gonna try another show in October to thin out some more "projects".

Rifling82 likes this.
  11. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

The black folks I talked to at the range in suburban Atlanta were worried about hood rats.

Rifling82 likes this.
  12. sheriffjohn

Some of the people I encountered were hood rats. Not all were people of color. We've always had questionable attendees at gunshows - either trying to buy or unloading something stolen. Years ago Mo. Dept. of Corrections' training academy was burglarized with over 20 weapons stolen. I worked the burglary and several months later found two of the guns on a gunshow table. Seller was the fence. Recovered about half of the guns at his house in St. Louis. 2 former inmates and one old crook busted.

As Sheriff I encouraged people to check serial numbers on firearms by calling the Sheriff's Office before buying guns. Typical year we'd ge about a dozen "hits" Pawnshops, FFL
    holders, collectors used my access to the NCIC system quite frequently. Saved them from buying hot guns and enabled us to return stolen guns to victims. Good friend was a Browning collector attending the Tulsa gunshow. Offered a Browning "Renaisance" set of pistols at a very good but very expensive price he called in. Saved him big bucks.

Most of the time the stolen guns had travelled through multiple owners over a period of years but sometimes cases were made, netting the actual thieves. All LE agencies have this ability to serve citizens but few do so. If FFL holders had access to the NCIC stolen gun files we'd see a decrease in gun thefts.

JTJ, Ingramite and primer1 like this.
  13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

They should be more afraid of White Liberals.

14. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Only in YOUR PROGRESSIVE WORLD!!!:rolleyes: That is the silliest thing I thing you have ever posted here, and you have posted some real unrealistic silly stuff!!!!;)

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I recently sold 2 AR's and pistol. I put them on consignment. In these times I dont want them coming back to me. You can sell them to someone with the proper ID and CCW but they could turnaround and sell them not supposed to have them. If they straw purchase at a dealership it is a crime.