SS Card in your wallet/purse?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by MisterMcCool, Jun 28, 2014.

1. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Identity thieves need your name, address, and social security number. Be safe; don't carry it.

No offense and none taken

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

And we have all the folks that are willing to help those poor, hardworking identity thieves, by printing name, address, phone and SSAN on their checks.

3. MisterMcCool

I am watching a movie about identity theft. Makes you think.

4. MisterMcCool

I have found addresses with only a name, if the name is unique. Be careful.

5. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

There is no need to carry the SS card at all, except maybe for the very few people. It only invites trouble.

Decline to have the Soc on your next driver's license. Decline to provide it on Form 4473 unless you have a reason to believe it is really necessary.

6. Heck, I don't even carry my Driver's License around in my wallet. It resides in the sun visor of my car until I need it.

I figure anywhere I need it, I've probably driven to, and I don't purchase that many airline tickets, cash checks or buy alcohol from places that don't already know me.

Looking at my wallet right now, there's a bank card, a sandwich shop rewards card, $20, my weapons license and a few cards to invite people to a political/firearms rights forum I belong to. That's it.

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I don't carry my SS card. It's in the lock box at the bank.

8. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I hear too many stories . I'm getting LIFELOCK !!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talkh

9. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

I just got LifeLock myself had a little issue with my computer this weekend.
    Wife gave me the phone and said it was Microsoft on the phone proceeded to let him in my computer for about 20 minutes showing me that I had a lot of errors and wanted to sell me spam and online security big mistake.
    Needless to say I called a tech they went through my computer add all kinds of new stuff in it and I got LifeLock and the wife too darn it. Mad.

Obviously I'm not very computer savvy does anybody know the extent of my vulnerability.

obviously I know the extent of my stupidity lol

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Ez- as you have figured out, you are very vulnerable.

Microsoft does not call ANYONE. Standard opening for a scammer-"I'm with Microsoft. We have found there is a very dangerous virus in your computer."

Lifelock is not a bad move. If you are an NRA member, you can get 60 days free, and $9 a month for their basic service.

In addition, if you are NOT a computer geek, find one where you live. Make arrangements to take computer to them, have them sanitize it.

AFTER you do that, change your passwords to any website you visit- including this one.

Then go back and put a sticky note on the computer- "Never give information to anyone that YOU did not call."

Now, not to scare you- but how vulnerable are you? Worst case- you did your taxes on the computer? Well, there is your personal info, including SSAN. Pay bills on line? Do banking on line? Buy anything with a credit card on line (like Amazon, E-Bay, etc)? Then your banking data and credit card data are at risk.

Myself, I follow another means of Risk Avoidance. I am so broke that identity thieves send ME money. But that does not work for everyone.

As far as unusual names being a traceable link to information, screen names can be a similar route-especially if you use the same name on several sites. If Joeblow72 chose that screen name because his email is joeblow72@wheemail.com, it can be much easier to creep into his information.

BTW, I am NOT a computer geek. I'm just a paranoid guy that understands how many scammers there are out there.

11. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Thanks C3.
    Yeah I did get LifeLock I used to rush limbough promo code which gave me 10 percent off and 30 days free.
    I do not do taxes on the computer only thing I do is purchase occasionally ammo I guess.
    Do appreciate your input I definitely have been freaking out for last few days lol

12. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

I did go to a vendor Microsoft recommended to clean my computer that's the person I mention that added all kinds of anti viruses protection to it and they will be monitoring it for several years.