sr9c problem

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by brainiac69, Aug 25, 2013.

1. brainiac69

brainiac69 New Member

i just bought a ruger sr9c about 3 weeks ago brand new.took it to the range the 1st time id did great not 1 problem. went this past friday for the 2nd time had nothing but problems.it would eject the empty shell but not feed the next round into the chamber and the top slide would lock back like it just shot the last round.was just shooting target ammo. tried hornaday cd ammo made no difference.took gun home & cleand it thinking it was just dirty but only run about 50-60 rounds threw it. went shooting today and same thing happened. any ideas.

2. ALfiremedic1

ALfiremedic1 New Member

With the rugers you have to extensively clean them, like detail strip them....or they will act like that until you do

3. Devin556

Devin556 New Member

If an extremely thorough cleaning doesn't solve the problem, I would take it to a gunsmith to have it checked out.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Detail strip the slide. Clean thoroughly and oil the magazine disconnect lightly. If it doesn't improve you could try it without the disconnect but I wouldn't recommend it (safety reasons).
    If you continue to have issues contact Ruger.

5. brainiac69

brainiac69 New Member

found the problem.the decocker lever spring had come out of place allowing the decocker lever to bounce and lock the slide back when firing the gun.thanks for the replies thought i would post what i found in case anybody else had this problem.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

7. TX45

TX45 New Member

I think he meant the slide stop or the manual safety lever.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  8. brainiac69

brainiac69 New Member

yes thats it i dont know why i called it the decocker lever. thanks for correcting me on that

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Can't learn if nobody corrects you.
    ;)

10. brainiac69

brainiac69 New Member

well shot my ruger sr9c again today and it acted up again same as last time the slide lock spring come loose from slide lock lever. guess its time for this p.o.s. to go. i got this for my ccw gun but just cant trust my wife & my lives with it. anybody got any good recs. for a 9mm or 45acp for cc.

11. sparky80

sparky80 New Member

If you like the gun contact Ruger and they will take care of it, on their dime.

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

We have 2 of them and no problems. Ruger will take care of it. You will have to register the warranty if you have not already done so. When you register the warranty you will get a 20% off coupon on accessories.

13. ivandog48

ivandog48 New Member

I've had two SR9C pistols. Sent first one back with light strikes on primers. Got worse and I tried everything. Second one they sent worked fine for 600-700 rounds then started double tapping - meaning it would fire two rounds with one trigger pull. Also light strikes on primers again. I had enough. Got on several forums and found the answer!
    The recoil spring assembly from Ruger are faulty. Yeah, I know. Doesn't sound like the Ruger we know. Some are probably 'okay' at least for now. But they are part plastic, part steel. Go online to GALLOWAY PRECISION. They make a recoil assembly to replace your factory unit. It cured both problems. You have a option on spring rate, I went with 16lb. These are bullet proof. Quality is obvious when you compare the two units. I love the SR9C or it would belong to someone else. The trigger is the best of any compact pistol I've tried. For $40.00 and shipping, you can turn your Ruger into one you can depend on. GALLOWAY makes lots of these for the same dang problem. I hope Ruger will read this and other reports and fix itthemselves. OR - buy them from GALLOWAY. DUH. I shouldn't have to spend $40.00 to fix a Ruger defect, but I don't want another Ruger recoil assembly in an otherwise splendid product.