Sr9 vs sr9c

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by jc126, Nov 20, 2012.

1. jc126

jc126 New Member

Is the only difference between the two the size?
    Can the 9c really take +P if so can the sr9? May be a stupid question but I can't seem to find information anywhere on the Internet and my local gun store isn't the smartest. The girl I dealt with didn't even know how to check to see if it was loaded :(

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Pretty much yes on size--
    Yes on +P but i wouldn't feed it every day :eek:
    I had both --Still have the "C" :cool:

3. Underdog

Underdog Member

I have shot both and myself I prefer the sr9c. Yes it can handle +p. I've had mine for over a year and it functions perfect with over 2K rounds fired. I only shoot stand velocity rounds out of mine and on rare occasions shoot +p, but it handles it well.

4. cluznar

cluznar New Member

SR9c wasn't "Gun of the Year" in 2010 for nothing.

5. jc126

jc126 New Member

I just order the sr9 before posting this thread. Am I at a loss for not getting the sr9c instead?

6. cluznar

cluznar New Member

No, the SR9 is a fine gun I know several people who own them and like them very much. You won't be disappointed. Good shooting.

7. CJohn364

CJohn364 New Member

Is +P considered high-velocity?

8. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

I have the 9c and it has had no problem with +P. I looked at a Walther PPQ to replace it and decided not to. Have 400 rounds through it and most of the issues have been the cheap range ammo. All but one round have fired when re-loaded into the magazine and gun. I have never had a problem with self defense ammo, and have about 100 rounds of a couple different manufactures fired through the gun.

9. cluznar

cluznar New Member

Yep, the SR9c is a fantastic carry gun.

10. TX45

TX45 New Member

I have both in stainless. The SR9 and the SR9c are excellent guns with mild recoil and they are very accurate. The SR9c with the 10rd mag is very easy to conceal. It and the PT145 are my main EDC guns. For target shooting, I like the SR9 a bit better because it feels more balanced in my hand.

11. WorldTraveler

WorldTraveler New Member

I called and talked to ruger and was to NOT to shoot +P ammo thru the SR9c. So I don't know if that's company policy or just the person I was talking with. Maybe should recall them?

Clint

12. cluznar

cluznar New Member

I see no need for +P myself. I carry my SR9c with either Hornady Critical Defense, or Corbon Pwrball ammo and feel certain it will do the job.

13. Daoust_Nat

Actually the number is 4000 rounds, and at least 50 are +P. Like someone else said, I don't think that is all I would shoot through it, but so far it has been fine.

14. swazispencer

swazispencer New Member

Sorry I'm new here, what's +P mean?

15. mdauben

mdauben New Member

The P stands for pressure. There are industry standards (SAAMI) for the pressure generated in various cartridges. The +P indicates cartridges loaded to higher pressure and thus higher velocity than "standard". Most modern guns will tolerate +P ammo just fine and it is quite popular for use in SD weapons.

16. cluznar

cluznar New Member

Both the SR9 and 9c are excellent guns with the 9c better for concealed carry. IMO these are the 3 nicest carry guns.

Ruger SR9c
    S&W MP 9c
    Beretta PX4 Storm compact --- NOT subcompact

17. swazispencer

swazispencer New Member

I fired an SR9 at the range the other day, and the thing jammed on my very 3-5 rounds. I'm not impressed already.

18. poker99

poker99 New Member

It had to be the ammo I would think. SR9 was my first gun and I've put 400 rds through it already. I still don't know what a Failure to Fire or a jam feels like, because it hasn't happened yet.

19. cluznar

cluznar New Member

I believe the SR9c is one of the top carry guns of all time. It is that nice!
    For Home defense, range, and carry the SR9 full size is excellent also, just depends on what size gun you wish to carry. All I know is that they are very impressive guns, dependable, accurate, nice trigger, large magazines.
    What more could you want?

20. Daoust_Nat

I agree, my only problem has been Winchester White Box.