SR9 issue

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by DrFootball, Dec 15, 2013.

1. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

OK so after 20 months with my SR9 I finally had a serious issue today. Whilst blowing up a frozen Pumkin that was on my porch since 10/31, I had an excessive series of FTF's today. Guns are cleaned before and after every shoot, and complete takedowns at least once per month. With only a few rds. At a time loaded in Mag., it would jam on the 2nd or 3rd rd. Cleared the chamber and switched mags( I have 5 for the SR and 7 now for the LC) loaded 1 into mag and then chamber for wife to try. Three times in a row gun failed to fire, took it from her, figuring she was having issue with the trigger, tried it myself, still no BANG,.
    Brought it home and broke it down again, found nothing obstructing mag well or chamber/Feed Ramp area....
    Any thoughts?

2. Werminator

Werminator Member

What type of ammo are you running? I have only had one ftf and as it turns out we could get that round to fire in anything... Glock... SIG... nothing..

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

could it have been cold weather + too much lube?

4. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

New ammo choice?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  5. G30USMC

G30USMC Active Member Supporter

The Rugers seem to be picky IMO to certain ammo brands, what brand of ammo are you using?

6. Werminator

Werminator Member

I at this point have a couple thousand rounds through mine from herter's, tulammo, winchester, Remington, federal, fiocchi, and even a box of really old stuff that was old enough you could barely read hornady on the lid. Steel case, brass case... it has run it all...

7. DrFootball

Sorry i was sick for a day and a half(146 unread in forums and about 8 PM's!!) Ammo: Mostly Black Hills 115Gr.Rn's, but also some CCI/Blazer, also 115Gr. RN's and maybe about 10 SD rounds(5 Fiocchi Monoblock 92Gr. Expansion HP's and 5 Golden Sabers. I could have possibly been 'the Cold" but it was in the High 50's with a slight breeze....about 80 rds. total. No issues the 1st 50+....and no issues with the LC9(about 50 rds. from the LC) What Didn't FTF or FTE you Ask? the 22's, except for one bad rd.(and thats from the junky Thunderbolts!) Yeah,..No issues with mine until that day...I think i'm gonna let the Smith at the range look at it the next time we go in! I have had mine since April '12, with around 1500 thru mine...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  8. Wcorker4

Wcorker4 New Member

I've never had a problem with any ammo in my rugers.they ate everything. Sr9c Sr1911 p90 and p345.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Firearms Talk mobile app

9. jimmyp7162

jimmyp7162 New Member

Best of luck to ya...it's a pain when your baby's aren't working right!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  10. DrFootball

No worries! Thanks. I ordered some more tools today, which I should get by 1/1, including the Ruger all in one gun tool by real avid, from the Ruger site. I'm sure that and the set of punches I ordered (From Natchez) will make it easier to take the SR down. I suspect at this point that the trigger gut " Gunked up." Same thing happened to my LC about 9 or 10 months ago, and I used a flat punch to take down the lower frame in order to "Wipe Down" the trigger and trigger assembly. Worked fine after that and has for the last 750-800 rounds...

11. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

My SR9c gags on Winchester white box. I have had as many as 10 FTFs out of a 100 round box. Other then that I have had no issues, so maybe it is ammo.

12. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

My SR 9c has fired every pos ammo I've run through it.
    Granted, it's only been about 600+ rounds, so I don't know about the long term gunking of the trigger assembly.
    Keep us informed.

13. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Nat, the only problem I've had with the White Box (so far) has been out of round casings on 9mm. And it seems I'd get a box of 100 with 2 or 3 bad ones occasionally. Other boxes would be fine.
    I guess I had gotten complacent and wasn't checking each round before loading.
    That's one mistake I don't make anymore. :eek:

14. DrFootball

Nat & Boat: since according to one of my "BIL's" I live the luxurious life of a retiree, tomorrow after my Gints go back under .500 for the end of the season complacency we have cone to expect from them, I'm going to spend the afternoon cycling the action and such,..(he should talk, at least I Worked for 25+ yrs. After the service,.. He hasn't worked a day since 1990!) not much I can do until the tools arrive...

15. DrFootball

Update: well, after another take down and through cleaning and light oiling, we had 2 outings in our new Shooting spot just south of Sedona Az. On open Public land. Last one was mid Jan, and the most recent one was Presidents Day(which also worked out to be our Annv.). Was fine at the Jan. Outing( about 4 mags-68 rds.) with not one issue. This time I began to have Light primer strikes(3) in roughly 75 rds., all 115Gr. Ball.
    Will take it into the Smith at my range the next time we go in,..meantime I took it down again and cleaned it again....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

16. jimmyp7162

jimmyp7162 New Member

Have you taken the magazine disconnect out ?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

17. DrFootball

No, that's an operation best left to a certified Smith to handle...

18. Werminator

Werminator Member

Sorry to hear you're having problems foot. My SR9 hasn't faulted once in well over 3000 rounds... best thing I have done to it was putting in the Ghost connector. Baby shoots great!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Firearms Talk mobile app

19. jimmyp7162

jimmyp7162 New Member

I agree. If you have one close, have him pull it, I have a feeling the drag from it is causing your light strikes. At least then you can rule it out if nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

20. DrFootball

It's shooting fine. The THREE light strikes came within 136 rounds shot(4 mags filled twice). Except for early on, and a few misfires while I was learning the Trigger, these light strikes were the only other malfunctions. Have not shot since then because MzGrn had surgery (it will b 3 weeks since on Thursday). Trying to get a local friend or friends to go out to shoot but everyone is busy. All this OTHER ammo( except for 22) sitting here and I can't go shoot some. Probably better I save it for the Bogey man....