Sr22

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by cm75, Apr 21, 2014.

1. cm75

cm75 New Member

Hey everyone. I need to know if a SR22 is a good pistol. I know every make and model has their own nuances, just trying to get y'all's option. A little back story, I take my 13yr old daughter shooting, more so now that she's found her new hobby. I really love taking her, it gives us bonding time and I really enjoy it! But, although she loves shooting my G22 .40, I would like to get her own pistol to come shoot with me. Just needing some advice, thanks. Btw, she is DEADLY with that Glock!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. cm75

cm75 New Member

Also I need to say, I took her to our LGS and she held one. Fit her like a glove. She can work the slide a lot easier than the G22. I think I have created a monster! LOL

3. emo

emo Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a Ruger 22/45 that I love but a coworker has the SR22 and he loves it. I've shot about 50 rounds through his and enjoyed it just prefer the 22/45 because 1911s are my favorite. Several other co-workers shot them both and it was pretty much split so that 1911 fans liked mine but non 1911 people liked the SR22.

Does the LGS or any public range near you let you rent? Would be nice to let her shoot a few before deciding.

Real dogs drool!

4. Bluestar99

Bluestar99 New Member

I have an SR22 and find it a great gun. But I will say I have had some problems with feeding the first few rounds of a full magazine. I have tried different brands of ammo, and can not find a specific problem. I took it in and my gunsmith looked it over and could not find a problem. They ran 50 rounds through it and when I picked it up they had me run another 50 rounds through it. Worked flawlessly. The next 300 rounds as well. Then the last time I had trouble again. So mine can be a little finicky at times.

5. cm75

cm75 New Member

Thanks for the advice fellas. I've heard they are sometimes finicky with certain ammo, but hey, ALL guns can be from time to time. Even my "perfect" Glock isn't that perfect. Lol

6. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

SR22 is a very reliable gun. I hear nothing bad about it. Barrel is a bit short for me personally.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  7. cm75

cm75 New Member

Yeah, I think I'll spring for it, once I get the money. Can't wait to see her eyes when I give it to her.

8. goldngun

goldngun New Member

Ruger 22/45 is the best there is. I've owned em all. I LOVE my Ruger 22/45 lite suppressed...)

9. Striker12

Striker12 New Member

I have a well modified 22-45 (I did all the work on it) with suppressor, new Tactical Solutions barrel and Volquartsen trigger job. I have close to 2 grand in it.
    As for the SR22 pistol, I have it. I upgraded the take down lever as I hear it can break off. Mine is a threaded barrel. Very accurate for the short barrel. Out of 10 shots I was able to hit a gallon milk jug at 100 yards 2 times with open sights.
    You cannot go wrong with Ruger

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  10. cm75

cm75 New Member

Those are MEAN looking!

11. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

The SR22 is a good pistol. It's highly functional, quality, and also quite affordable. The downside is that you're getting a gun with nearly subcompact barrel length and resulting sight radius. That doesn't mean it can't be accurate, but it's a certainty that accuracy will be more difficult than with many similar guns.

If the SR22 fits her way better than anything else, buy it! If she loves it, she'll probably put in the work to become proficient with it, and will be a better shooter as a result of that process.

But if she's more of a casual shooter, there may well be better alternatives...that could include rimfires like the SW MP22 or Ruger 22/45 (two that have impressed me), or a bigger centerfire.

The simple answer is to buy her what she'll enjoy. <---Underlined is an easy (and always correct) answer that can be difficult to sort out from your perspective. The SR22 is an excellent gun; but it doesn't come without it's own set of shortcomings, depending on the expectations of the shooter. I love and own the Ruger MK3 22/45, but I'll probably buy an MP22 and SR22 in the near future. I like all three guns. I'd prefer the 22/45 above the other two.

12. cm75

cm75 New Member

Yeah Sweeper, that's what I was thinking too. She really likes the way it feels in her hand, plus she had a choice between an all black model or the model with the silver slide. She likes the silver slide one, so just waiting on some money to arrive and we'll be shooting side by side! Thanks for all y'all's opinions, btw.

13. cm75

cm75 New Member

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1398384709.189058.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1398384725.808514.jpg This is her shooting my .40 cal. She loves shooting it! Lol

14. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

NICE!!!

I remember my Adopted Sister was 12( a first cousin who's parents were killed in a suspicious car accident, my Mom & Dad were her Godparents. In our Faith is a very serious commitment.) and she Loved the 22's and my Dad's Off Duty Colt 38Spl.'s,..but she could not shoot the 45's...she shoots a little these days, she's a Head nurse at Bagram AB Hospital...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

15. infidel686

infidel686 New Member

I love my sr22. Mine prefers mini-mags or equivalent and a good cleaning after each session or it has feeding issues. Other than that very reliable and accurate. You and her will both be happy

16. thefourthD

thefourthD New Member

I love my SR22. Great plinker and so much fun. I too had problems with failure to feed but Ruger has by far the best customer service. I called them, explained, they emailed me a shipping label, and fixed the issue.
    If she likes the way it feels you can't go wrong.

17. Luckyshamrock40

Luckyshamrock40 Member

My SR22 is great... And will eat anything that I feed it. You both will love it!

18. Striker12

Striker12 New Member

It also feels great in the hand.

19. emo

emo Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Did you give it to her yet? Hope you capture the look on her face when you do!

Thank you for doing your part teaching the next generation.

Real dogs drool!

20. cm75

cm75 New Member

No emo, not yet. Still waiting for a buddy of mine to finish paying me for a bike I sold him. It might be awhile before it get it for her, but I will def take a vid or pic of it!