Sr1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by dells04, Dec 26, 2012.

1. dells04

dells04 New Member

Well I'm going out on a limb and putting some money down on a Ruger SR1911 this morning. I found three available in the area all the same price $799. Never shot a 1911, but its a Ruger so I don't think I'll be disappointed.

2. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

I've heard nothing but good things about the SR1911.

I'm jealous.

3. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I have found 2 in the last couple weeks in my area, first ones I have laid a hand on and they seem like fine pieces of work. I plan to possibly pick one up with my tax return. Both I found were also 799 which I believe is the msrp from Ruger, which coupled with the fact that one of the places which had that price was Gander Mountain I believe it can be found much cheaper an an LGS if I can find one which has one. My local shop is usually far cheaper than Gander but they haven't had a SR1911 in stock that I have seen.

4. jakewpns

jakewpns New Member

Definitely a solid 1911, Ruger never really disappoints. Post up pics and let us know what you think bro.

5. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

We have one and love it! Plus they're hard to find so I would snatch it up. :). We have an R1 too. The Ruger is his. The Remington is mine.

image-600100617.jpg

6. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Shoots great right out of the box!! The trigger is soooo smooth!!!! You will love it.:D

image-1338400050.jpg

7. dells04

dells04 New Member

It's going to be a while before I get to bring it home, doing the layaway thing.
    Played with a Kimber while I was there and I really liked the way the Ruger felt compared to that. Also played with a Taurus, American tactical, and a Colt. Ruger won out for me again.

My kids were with and my son was kinda disappointed we couldn't get the gun site scout rifle while we were there, he really likes it!

Now to start looking at the ammo side of things. Those of you who have one, what do you feed yours?

8. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

I don't have any experience with the Ruger 1911, but with mine I break em in with around 400 rounds of any good brand 230grn FMJ. Then start seeing which defense ammo will run through it.

The 400 break in rounds don't have to be in one range trip, obviously. And that's just the number I go for.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the Ruger SR1911 gets many positive reviews and is on my list of 1911's to own. they have been very scarce in my area. and ihope to locate one in the near future.

enjoy it.

10. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Gander Mountain in Minnesota has them in stock - I think you can also purchase from their website - $799

11. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I think you can do better for $800...like the R1 Enhanced, or maybe a nice Springfield. The Ruger is a nice gun though. I have the matte stainless SR1911 and it's a sharp looking and reliable shooter.

If your heart's set on the Ruger, please do yourself a favor and inspect it carefully. The last two that showed up at my LGS had an unacceptable amount of lateral slide slop. Yes, both. And not just a little bit. They were two of the worst QC examples I've seen among all the 1911s I've looked over.

12. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

Which is which? Remington on right or left?

13. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Remington is on the right and my AWESOME SR1911 on the left.;)

14. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

Man I tell you what I need to find a girl that would prefer a matching pair of 1911s rather than more jewelry, purses etc. Most of the girls I know will go shooting as long as I foot the bill. Geez I thought VA girls all liked shooting things.

15. WestTexas325

WestTexas325 New Member

Mine hasn't had a hiccup with any fmjs and I ran golden sabres and federal guard dogs through it as well to make sure before I carry it.

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

they are on backorder at both the Gander Mountain stores in my area. and they are selling at MSRP at both. i will just paitiently wait and buy one later on at my LGS when they become more available. thanks anyway.

17. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I found one at a Gander a couple weeks ago for $799. Previous to that I had seen only one other and it was $686. They look like really nice guns and do seem to be regarded as being at the top of the mid-range 1911s.

18. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

My brother just bought one for $699 free shipping no tax from Sportsmans outdoor super store. I shot it. It's nice. The slide fits looser than my kimber and the trigger has some more play, but it's with it when you consider the price and the warranty

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  19. dells04

dells04 New Member

Picked up my SR1911 two weeks ago! Got home with it let the wife and kids admire it, tore it down and cleaned it all up, & put it away.

A buddy of mine invited me to go shooting at a indoor range last night, brought the 1911 with and now understand all the hype, what a beauty!to shoot!

Attached Files: