SR1911...Arizona Style!

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by KMO, May 26, 2011.

1. KMO

KMO New Member

I'm allowing myself just one modification to my new SR1911...Since these are manufactured here in Prescott, they really do need a more local flare...

[​IMG]

Actually, even though the grips are genuine diamondback rattler, I had to find them in Michigan! ...at Dog Grips... www.doggrips.com

2. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

A guy here named Canebrake does his own rattler grips for the 1911.

3. KMO

KMO New Member

I wish I'd known...But, these came out pretty nice...;)

4. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

M - R nice, perfect for your part of the country, but yet you got them in Michigan that's crazy, cause you know they don't have rattle snakes up there.

5. KMO

KMO New Member

Well, apparently they have dead ones...LOL...:cool:

6. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

The hell we don't! Sistrurus catenatus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

... Yeah, it's the only venomous snake in Michigan. We're kinda pampered like that. =/

7. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

Sistrurus catenatus I don't believe that's a diamond back though, I don't know if I ever seen one that small, 18 to 30 inches, very small compared to the Sweetwater Texas variety

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Thanks for the "shout-out" Trez, but I get my snake hide grips from the same place. :eek:

Dog Grips

That Defender on the home page is mine! Mel makes some great leather covered 1911 grips. It's a canebrake favorite!

[​IMG]

They sure did! And I won't embarrass you by telling everyone the great value you get from Mel!

Do you find them a tad thick? My first set on the Defender turned out bigger than I liked so I worked with Mel to make a set of thins.

I had the Defender's receiver refinished in electroless nickel boron nitride and Mel found a timber (canebrake) rattler hide with colors to match my refinished Defender. Canebrake was born!

Oh yea, the Massasauga! Bad azz little dude!

KMO, sorry to jack your thread but I'm a big fan of snake hide grips!

I think the 1911 wears them well and your's is an outstanding example!

** mad props **

9. KMO

KMO New Member

Yes! I thought I might have to get longer grip screws, but I just pressed hard & managed to get them threaded. I like the thicker feel, and the hide is a good grip surface...;)

10. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I was obstinate at first, but I'm liking that Ruger 1911! :)

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

That looks great. And I'm a Prescott native, so I might have to have one!

12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Same thing on my 1911 -
    We got a few in Texas too :eek::D

[​IMG]

13. KMO

KMO New Member

Yea, you sure do. Seems every time I go through Texas, someone's trying to get me to taste a genuine rattlesnake that tastes just like chicken. I like the snake hide on my grips, but I'll stick with Col. Sanders on the menu selections...;)

14. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

B-E-A-utiful grips.
    You got a range report up about that beauty yet?
    I am seriously considering one.

15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

We got that in common too :p

16. KMO

KMO New Member

It's a straight shooter right out of the box. I did have a few FTF's during the first 100 rounds. I polished the ramp edges by hand (no Dremmel tool) with some 1500-grit paper followed by Flitz. With the sharp edges polished like a mirror, it performs beautifully. Ruger has done a very nice job with this pistol...very tight fit all around, and I especially like the 70-series design without the lawyer parts in the slide. They also put a small peep hole above the breech end of the barrel so the shooter can see if a round is in the chamber. That's much more classy than one of those chintzy Loaded Chamber Indicators found on some other pistols. I recommend this pistol. In fact, I don't know why a guy would pay more for a 1911. Ruger did it right...;)

17. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I like that Ruger listens to what shooters want. Series 70 design and a GI rod. I may have to get one of these :)

18. KMO

KMO New Member

Well, you appear to be pretty flush with revolvers, so go get one, man (if you can find one)...:cool:

19. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

1911s too. The Ruger will be 1911 number 8. If it shoots I collect and horde it :D

20. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Does anybody know if/where I can get snakeskin grips in all or mostly black? I can't seem to find anything :(