Squirrels and rabbits

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by remington85, Dec 17, 2012.

1. remington85

remington85 New Member

Anyone ever hunted them? Are they good and how do you cook them? Would a .22 work? My dad has told me that there is a certain time of year to shoot rabbits.

2. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Yep, both make for good table fare, as for as hunting goes it was illegal to shoot them out of hunting season or you could hunt them when the gamewarden was out of town......:eek::D

3. tri70

tri70 New Member

Always easy to find and good to eat, taste great, less filling! :D. They are good eat fried, baked, grilled, with dumplings, and soup. 22 LR is the most common weapon used for squirrel & rabbit. A dog or a partner will help with squirrels, when treed they will circle to the opposite side you are trying to shoot from. The squirrels around here have not been hunted and you may get within 10 Ft on the ground from them.

4. tri70

tri70 New Member

Rabbits are easier to hunt in the snow, you have to be careful with them, some will back track when chased with beagles or hounds and shooting at them can be a safety challenge!

5. 44ablast

44ablast New Member

I agree with tri, rabbit hunting is best after a fresh snow fall. Just thinking about fried rabbit with mashed taters and gravy is making me hungry. As for a gun i almost always grab my old stevens. 22/410 over under

6. Vick

Vick New Member

I love smothered rabbit, of course I'm in south Louisiana so we eat anything that is smothered are fried.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Remington- pretty sure you are one of our younger members (nothing wrong with that). Reason I mention that, if you have not done so, you should go thru one of your state hunter safety courses. In most areas it is required in order to get a hunting license unless you are an old poop like me.

The course can help answer some questions about hunting (like seasons- you don't hunt in the Spring and Summer- or you will be shooting pregnant game). A responsible hunter also learns the game laws that apply to him, and follows them. Here is a start on some reading for you- http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/fish_hunt/

Texas has no closed season on rabbits and hares, but there IS on squirrel. And yes, a .22 can work very well for both.

Recipes- both can be stewed, dredged in flour/salt/pepper and fried, or go the crock pot route (instant onion soup mix in the Crockpot)

8. remington85

remington85 New Member

I already went through the course :) got the card laminated and all. Im certified :)

9. remington85

remington85 New Member

And in my county there is no limit and no closed season

10. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Mine is like yours and it's great for small game.
    [​IMG]

11. unclebear

unclebear New Member

rabbit and squirrel are good eatin, I use a 22 for both but with rabbit I sometimes break out my bow depending. Here in ky theres a season for both but if your hungry enough or they're causing problem they usually end up in freezer or oven depending. When I use to go help a buddy of mine with tobacco we could just be walking and see 6 or 7 rabbits running around if times got hard we ate rabbit or tree rats they're always around there a reason people say **** like rabbits

12. remington85

remington85 New Member

Can someone tell me where the best place to shoot them is? I want to save as much meat as possible

13. 44ablast

44ablast New Member

Head shots! A little messier, but no meat loss. Especially with squirrels, not much meat to begin with. Hunt safe and have fun.

14. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I love rabbit but squirrel isnt my favorite. I like rabbit grilled and smothered in good bbq sauce. I used my single shot 16ga when I was a kid to hunt them both but now I like using my Henry or 10/22.

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I noticed a lot posters mentioning a 22 for rabbit hunting. Teams of rabbit hunters will always have more success. When hunting in teams remember that 22 is still a rifle. A shotgun with low brass ammo is much safer. While hunting with dogs I have been peppered twice with birdshot. Luckily I had brier pants on. None of the birdshot penetrated my heavy pants.

It was my fault as much as the other hunters both times. I should have kept whistling until I knew where other hunters where located. If either hunter had been shooting a 22 I might have a serious injury today.

16. Asago0321

Asago0321 New Member

I have a question I have several AR uppers I hunt with they are 1:9 twist multi cal. 223 rem or 5.56 NATO I've been using 5.56 NATO 55g. my question which ammo is best for my barrel lengths 10.5 inch 16 inch and 20 inch bull heavy fluted barrel? which ball weight is best does it make a difference for the barrel lengths?
    thank you

17. Asago0321

Asago0321 New Member

well don't eat them when it's warm or summertime they have ticks and you can get rocky Mountian fever or really sick. Yes a .22 works even a sling shot works. but in my experience I would prefer to use a .22 mini mag or a 20g with bird shot. .22s are very accurate and as long as the squeal doesn't bother you. just field gut. ( squeeze intestine and stomach all internal parts from neck down and it will pop out their bottom after all intestine is squeezed out rip off head. do this fairly fast after your kill. You don't want to get sick.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/understanding-barrel-twist-bullet-weights-44557/

Regarding your gutting procedure: That's fairly nasty when you have a knife and will have to cut it later anyways.

19. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Rabbits always run in circles. Always. Not sure why.

20. willshoum

willshoum New Member

I think your talking cotten tails, them little bity wabits. A big male swamp rabbit will run the hell out of some dogs as the season gets longer. They get smarter as the years pass. thats if they make it thru the gauntlet......For the most part if you hunt with dogs, stay in the area where the rabbit was jumped. Pot fried and a she at full of fresh oyster mushrooms, brown gravy and served over rice.......:eek:;)