Squirrel Hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by 95sniper, Oct 18, 2012.

1. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I just purchased a 22 rifle to squirrel hunt and target shoot with. I have researched squirrel hunting on the internet and here at home in NC there are many squirrels right in my front yard the problem is that I cannot hunt in my front yard (yes, technically i can i know) butwhen I go to hunt in the woods, I dont see very many if any at all. When is the best time to hunt, and are there any special tips you can give me? Thanks

2. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Find a nice big oak in an area with lots of acorns. Sit at the base of the tree be still and keep an eye out. The ones in the woods are not used to people and will generally vanish before you even see them. If you sit still it won't take long and they will feel safe again and be out and about. It's hard if there are still leaves on the trees but after awhile you train yourself to see any little movement. It is a hoot!

3. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Had this problem growing up - Tree rates are smarter than most people give them credit for. My advice - cameo, squirrel call help but the real secret to success is to buy a quality pellet rifle and take them out right in the yard.

Neighbors might even thank you cause if they get into your house - God Help You !

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Remember to dress and act as if you are there hunting deer; you will be over-freakin run by tree rats.

I forgot, know how to peel the things. Some idjut started an apartment fire burning the hair off a squirrel to cook it. :rolleyes: I suggest a quick removal of head and feet and tail then peel out towards the missing head and tail from a slit in the center of the back. IMO, headshots save a mess.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  5. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I was planning on head shots, I know a few people around here that live in the country and shoot squirrels off their porch. Grey squirrels you really have to sneak up on anyways. Whats the best squirrel call?

6. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Here squriliee squiriliee, Here squririlieeeeeeee:)

(sorry, I just couldn't help myself)

I agree, with the post about acorns, still and quiet. They will come to you.

7. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Couldn't agree more - they have ruined many a deer hunters day. :eek:

8. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I used to go bright and early in the morning. It will be easier when the leaves are gone, keep a sharp eye out for movement and a lot of times the lil guys will see you first and just hide on the other side of a tree. I haven't squirrel hunted in years, might have to try and get out there this year

9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

squrriel hunting ishard. there are 2 ways that i have seen work.

1. find a place with lots of shells, acorn, walnut, hickory. sit down and enjoy the hunt.

2. stalk slowly around the woods, especially where you see sign. sometimes constantly moving is as good as being still.

i prefer number 1 but have seen both work great. the key is finding where they are.. empty shells, tree nests that sort of thing.

as far skinning them, heres what i do.

start a back of neck and cut to make an opening.
    cut skin away from meat, moving from neck to shoulders, around shoulders to lower leg. sometimes you can pull the skin away. sometimes you have to cut it.
    seperate until skin is around the foot knuckle, bend and cut at that join. then cut around and dislocate shoulder joint. repeat step for other front leg.

skin down the back bone to the back legs and repeat the process for front legs.. if you feel like you want more, cut around the guts, de gut it. now the hard part, cut,bend ,snap and break the back bone where the ribs end, and at the pelvis for an extra chunk of meat...

have fun.

10. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

For cleaning (head shot) I cut a hole in the center of the back, work two fingers in from each hand and pull apart. Keep pulling until you have a "shirt" and "pants", work the legs out to the paws, cut off the head and feet (the shirt is off) just cut the feet on the pants then keep pulling to get the tail out. That way you have a boneless tail to cut off the pants (Mepps will buy them for their spinners) Then cut the tail off, gut it like anything else and cut into 1/4s. I prefer to take the ribs off because if you make a stew they tend to fall off anyway and you can end up with little ribs floating in your stew plus there isn't any meat on them anyway. One gray will feed a person with fixins.
    Note: if you don't do a head shot this system can leave you with 1/2 a squirrel in each hand with a mess in between.

11. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

To clean I used to cut the bottom of the tail, through the meat and bone but not all the way through. Skin up the back an inch or 2. Then you can lay it on its back, stand on the base of the tail and pull up on the back of the legs. If done right it'll peal a strip a couple inches wide all the way to the neck. Then all you have to do is go around the stomach and pull the skin from around the legs down to the ankles. Break ankles and cut. Then cut the head off and the skin and head will all be one piece.

12. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

jimogden1984 ..Works great for me. Actually I think its the best way.

13. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Squirrels are color blind. Wear hunter orange even if deer season is closed. There are always poachers in the woods that want to get an extra day of hunting in. I have a hunter orange vest with a game bag I wear when hunting squirrels, rabbits or woodcock.

14. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

sometimes you just can't find "that" tree that all the squirrels wanna come to, soooooooooo, here's how to stalk hunt.

actually you are "slippin or creepin" through the woods as quietly and AS SLOWLY as possibly. it's best to get there before daylight, but if you get there and the sun is up, the day ain't ruined. either way, you have to see enough to walk into the woods. IMPORTANT: gettin there early (unless there is a storm brewin), pretty much guarantees you that the wind is gonna be little to no for this way of huntin. if the wind is too hard, you won't be able to hear them cuttin and droppin, or shakin limbs as they move and jump around.

the first thing thatchu do is get into the woods and get still. find the nearest tree, and just squat down next to it, or lean against it. THE SQUIRRELS ALREADY KNOW YOU ARE THERE! :eek: don't worry about it, they'll quickly go back to feedin. you might have one barkin @chu, or see one runnin away, but it's okay. whatchu wanna do is just BE STILL until all is quiet, and everyone goes back to bein @ one with nature. :cool: LOOK, LISTEN, AND WATCH.

even if you hadjur eyes closed you could hear them jumpin from branch to branch or tree to tree, you'll be able to hear acorns, or pinecones, or cedar balls, or whatever they tend to be feedin on hittin the palmettos or forest floor AND everything in between on the way down.......it's a dead giveaway to their location.

NOW, you will be tempted to "go get" the first squirrel you see, but don't, locate 3 or 4...........you'll see the trees movin off in the distance, or you'll catch a glimpse of them movin thru the trees. with a .22 you have the definite advantage. the reason you locate 3 or 4, is because after you shoot and kill the first one, you know in what direction the other squirrels are. the "POP" of the .22 will only disturb them for a brief few minutes before they go back to feedin.

after you have located and crept up on the squirrel you intend to shoot, (if there are lots of leaves still on the trees) the fun will start. :p:confused: now you have to find a good shot. standin under a 50 foot oak tree for 5 or 10 minutes tryin to "find" a shootin solution to the head is a killer on the neck. DAMN is it a killer. if you are under the squirrel, then it MOST LIKELY doesn't know you are there, so you can move around pretty freely. BUT, try to only move when the animal is movin, that way your movement and sounds will be covered by it's movements and sounds. try to findju a place that's NOT directly under the tree to get a shootin solution, and you won't be gettin any neck and/or shoulder pains. ;)

shoot your squirrel, WAIT about 5 minutes or so (til others "blow the noise off" as nothin), then move SLOWLY to pick up your squirrel. MAKE SURE you are keepin watch the whole time on the other squirrels that you marked earlier. ALSO, make sure and try to get head shots with the .22. a gut shot squirrel, is prolly half of the time a lost squirrel, especially if it can drag itself to a hole in the tree.

now EVERYBODY KNOWS how to "slip" or "creep," but there are better ways. i was taught by my uncle to put the ball of my foot down EVER SO GENTLY, so as to be able to feel for sticks/twigs or light step on DRY leaves. i use this same technique to this day. animals in nature DO crunch dry leaves, BUT SELDOM snap or break sticks/twigs. walkin thru leaves just like you are walkin down the street is a dead giveaway to your position, and is like a fire alarm to wildlife in the area. you'd be lucky to see a bird if you walked like that. so take 10 - 15 seconds to take a full step.........everything is done SLOWLY, DELIBERATELY, AND QUIETLY. if you feel a stick/twig under foot, look down and move your foot, or "feel" with your foot until you are off of it.......CUZ IT WILL DEFINITELY GIVE YOU AWAY. if you snap a twig, loud enough, then you're stuck again, waitin VERY STILL. it takes a while to move around this away, butchu will see more squirrels than you have ever seen before.......................I GUARANTEE THAT FOR A FACT. (DISCLAIMER: UNLESS YOU ARE FOLLOWING BEHIND ANOTHER "GOOD" HUNTER, OR THERE ARE NO SQUIRRELS IN THE AREA I CAN MAKE NO GUARANTEE. :p)

if you're good enough, and quiet enough, you might take a rabbit or two by surprise too.

BECAREFUL on your "slippin or creepin." slower IS best, but make sure as you are slippin and watchin your other prey that you watch out for snakes. timber rattlers, copperheads, and cottonmouths are still very active, and rattlers have been known to wait @ the bottoms of feed trees for squirrels to come down. SO BE EXTRA CAREFUL WHEN GOIN TO GETCHUR DEAD SQUIRREL.

have fun, challenge yourself with the shot placements....head shots, kill lots, and be safe. REMEMBER, A .22 IS A RIFLE AND SHOOTS A LONG WAYS. KEEP THE BARREL POINTED UP IN THE TREES WHEN SHOOTIN. OTHER HUNTERS ARE HUNTIN TOO.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

And caught countless rounds of buckshot and even a few slugs fired in extreeeeeeeeeeme anger.

16. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Lucky for you, I am the terminator of the squirrel world.

Camo. They have good eyesight. Good camo includes not moving. The little tree rats will actually come right up to you to investigate.

Evening and morning are best times.

They love corn. Screw a corn cob into a tree so they can't run off with it.

If you have an iphone, download a game call app, the squirrel calls are usually free.

If not, take 2 acorns and rattle them in your hand, this mimics a call.

Hunt where they are. They love acorns and pine nuts.

17. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i disagree. ive seen lots of squrriels at all times of the day. matter of fact my last hunt was from 1pm to 4. and we shot 5 squrriels.
    i normally use camo, however ive gone out in jeans, and a rainjacket before and shot them. its more about sound, and movement than anything else.

18. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

high tech twist : Two guys from Rod n Gun club used some type of radio headsets to communicate. Squirrels will try to put a tree between them & Hunter, so w radio commo, one of them w walk around the tree to flush the squirrel around to the hunter who is ready to fire.

They have been hunting together for quite some time. They utilized their skills of overwatch & maneuver to give the local teenagers an old fashioned arse whoopen in paintball. Well, until they got tired of being used for Tgt practice. Then the teenagers ganged up 10 to 2 and took them out first on the last game of the day. Who says kids these days can't learn new skills ? :).

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  19. orangello

orangello New Member

That is what your dog is for; even the dumbest dog i've ever had would stand on the side of the tree the squirrel was in and look at it. Tag-team FTW!