Squirrel hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by GonzoLonzo, May 5, 2014.

1. GonzoLonzo

GonzoLonzo New Member

Hey guys, looking for some help here. I have only been hunting about 3 times waaaayyy back when I was young:D. And that was once for deer and the rest were javalina. My daughters have been wanting to go hunting and I was thinking of starting them and me with some squirrel hunting. Here in the county I live, open season is year round. Now I remember being told not to hunt during summer because of all the bugs on the squirrels. Is this true? Should I wait until winter or is there a safe way to do it. I also remember to check the liver for spots. Any other advice you can throw my way?

2. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Check to see if you live in a plague risk area. If you do, then don't hunt or touch rodents (which includes squirrels).

Check ANY mammal's liver for disease spots. And if infected, throw it away (or leave it there for the buzzards).

Squirrel tastes pretty good, you just need to cook it for a long time, such as bake or simmer it, or broil it with water in the pan. Liver is good, heart is good, kidneys are good too.

When you cook it right it tastes a little like dark meat turkey wings.

I use sea salt and pepper with onions and carrots in the broiling pan.

3. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I wouldn't eat a squirrel until you have a good hard frost. Th[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23eimVLAQ2c"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23eimVLAQ2c[/ame]ey can be infected with Bot Fly Larva.

4. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

you can hunt Squirrel, they will probably have ticks and stuff on them, check the liver, and if okay chow down:D

5. GonzoLonzo

GonzoLonzo New Member

nchunt, that vid was nasty. I had never heard of a bot fly. I can't wait to show that vid to my wife.

Eagle, thanks for the info.

Shoobee, I never heard of plague risk areas but I'll look into that.

Thanks, guys

6. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

Throw some different size cans on the ground, and nailed to good tree at various distances( 10yd out to 75yds) and have them keep practicing to show them that hunting can be at various distances/angles to give them a good feel for it.

Watch out for Squirrels as mentioned above in warm/hot months due to ticks/fleas/flies.

Glad somebody found some 22LR. Can't find any where I'm at, so I've been stockpiling up with 17HMR, which is plentiful and retired my 22's. Yes, I can order some(if not OOS), but I'm not gonna play that game.

7. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Jeez guys! Buddy just go hunt them and have a good time chasing a critter through the woods. Animals will have parasites like fleas on them in the middle of winter. They are fun to hunt and if the critter has bot flies you have the choice of cutting around where it is or throw it out. Been hunting them for years. We used to have squirrel camp back in the day before there where many deer around. Great excuse to be in the woods, and take a young one with you.

8. deg

deg Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I think I am siding with limbkiller

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

me too!:D

i'd like Shoobee to explain more about these plague risk areas he was talking about.

10. deg

deg Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Me too, I ain't saying they don't exist, but I have never heard of them. Time for class Shoobee....

11. GonzoLonzo

GonzoLonzo New Member

Good advice, thank you sir.

I have never heard of squirrel camp. That sounds like it would have been a blast.

12. towboater

towboater Active Member

Squirrel season starts in the fall.

Ya can hunt possum and armadillo anytime

13. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

14. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I've killed so many squirrels I have nightmares that they will all be waiting for me at the Pearly Gates. :D

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

the "plague" or bubonic fever has always been in the environment its not a rare thing. the military routinely immunizes for it. in america we have a very clean lifestyle and very high level of nutrition most people are vermin free most areas are vermin free and most people bath regularly. in the dark ages people never bathed and thought getting wet would kill you. even today you hear this crap like come in out of the cold or get dry before you catch a cold...

anyway here are some rodent plague facts:

http://www.nps.gov/public_health/info/factsheets/fs_plague.htm

16. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

I just wanted to thank you guys for those videos on botflys. Because of them, I spent 30 minutes last night watching videos of flies and other bugs being pulled out of people. And today I freaked my girlfriend out with them!!! :D