Squirrel Hunting Technique

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by krisko09, Jun 18, 2012.

1. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

I've always done it the same way. Go walk in to the woods, sit down somewhere and be very very quiet for about 20 min, if i dont see anything i move about 5 yds and try again. Repeat until successful. but my buddies at drill were comparing some wierd ways they squirrel hunt.. whats your technique?

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

ive stalked a handful of times. i think its kind of 50/50 that way. generally i go about how you do. without the moving. i have a few good spots i always see em at so i just go sit and wait

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Krisko, when i was younger and hunted squirrels, pretty close to the method you described. even though my uncles liked using shotguns for squirrel hunting i prefered using a 22 the way my father taught me.

4. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

I just walk and then when i see one blam! i have to ask, whats with the broccoli?

5. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I do both. Ever notice how many squirrels you see deer hunting? How many deer you see squill hunting?

6. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Seen 3 deer squirrel hunting. If it was legal to hunt them with a rimfire i would have had a few deer.

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

That's for supporting members to know and you to find out lol.

I go out and look for an area with a lot of their nests and sit and wait.

8. brasskicker

brasskicker New Member

I know the FIREARMS forum isn't really the place to ask but have you bowhunted? Many options for what you can kill in the woods. :)

9. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Funny you should ask brasskicker i am getting my first real compound this afternoon. Getting ready for deer season. There is also a bunny in our yard and when i get my bow he will be delicious.

10. brasskicker

brasskicker New Member

Awesome! I bought my first hunting bow a year and a half ago. I can also guarantee that bunny will be delicious. Ammo (in this case arrows) considering how much you reuse it is dirt cheap too!!

11. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

See i've always used a little marlin .22 rimfire. A Shotgun for squirrel?...overkill.

12. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

not always.. my sister was lucky enough to pull off a two squirrel, one shot deal with her 870 . but i tend to lean towards a .22 as well

13. vincent

vincent New Member

What broccoli? I don't see no stinkin' broccoli...:confused: :D

I think there's a thread or two on bows in the 'Other Weapons' section...:cool:

14. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

There's also a nudey pic section, but u gotta be a supporting badass for that :cool:

15. dsheppard

dsheppard New Member

What kind of areas are u hunting? Heavy timbered or open

16. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Go to the woods & act like a NUT, always works for me..............O and take a shotgun !

17. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Yep a 10 guage for squirrels is a must becouse they are thick skinned big boned dangerous game. But as of last couple yrs i have been huntin rabbits an squirrel with a 22 cal pellet gun, i use the gammo nitro piston an man its cheap fun.

18. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

Dense timber. Thins out as you get closer to the lake but still pretty thick.

19. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Spot an stalk, move quiet an slow use a .22 , or a quality pellet rifle for a cheap day of hunting some fine table fare

20. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Depends on how things are going and my mood. If its kinda windy I spot and stalk w my Marlin 882 22 mag. If its calm ill sit in a likely spot for awhile then move on a little ways. Usually use my 22 mag w 40 gr cci fmj or Winchester dynapoint 45 gr. Either that or my ruger 10/22 tactical hunter I built shooting cci minimags, federal bulk pack, or silver hv Winchester bulk pack.