Squibs - Tips and Tricks to Clear

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by jrock3rd, Apr 25, 2012.

1. jrock3rd

jrock3rd New Member

I have heard a lot about what to use and how to clear. People say brass rods, wooden dowels or metal rods. Most people say to force it the same direction the bullet was traveling. What are your tips and techniques to share?

2. ellwood45c

ellwood45c New Member

First of all never ever use steel, you should always use a softer material like brass. I have never had a squib round (nock on wood) but at the SASS shoots ive seen a bunch. We have had good luck with nocking them out the way they should come out, but i have had people tell me thats wrong. I myself have told people to go the same way it was traviling, like you would do with a muzzeloader. But that what ive been told and IMO thats what i would do.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Depends on where bullet IS in the barrel, and on the gun. It can be rather difficult to drive a bullet UP the bore of a revolver, or many semi auto rifles.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

drop a cleaning rod down the bore most squib rounds arent into the bore much at all. had one in my AR15 no powder charge popped right out

had one in my sig p220 once winchester white box felt like a partial charge. bullet was halfway downn the barrel beat it out from the chamber end with a hammer and wood dowel.

5. Shade

Shade New Member

+1 never use anything that could damage the barrel. Wood or brass is safe.

I agree. I have only had one myself. .45 ACP no powder only the primer.
    It was just into the rifling .375 brass rod and a tap tap from a small ball pein
    hammer and it was out through the chamber. I would choose remove any
    bullet to which ever end of the barrel it was closer to. Close to the middle
    head to the muzzle if you can. With my 1911 I removed the barrel from the
    gun and held it against a pine block to protect the breech face of the barrel.

This was part of my progressive reloading press learning curve.

6. jrock3rd

jrock3rd New Member

Thanks for all the tips and info! I have not had a squib, yet. I will be going to Lowe's this weekend and looking for a couple of wooden dowels for my range bag!

7. oldpapps

oldpapps New Member

Or try a length of brass brazing rod. Available any place welding supplies are sold and cheap. They are long and can be thick.
    I keep one in the hard case I carry my M1A in. Pull a rim, hold the bolt open and just drop it in.
    They cut to any length you want with ease.

A leather or plastic mallet and some patches to use as a bore guide (keep everything away from the crown) and you can tap away. Lots of light taps, not heavy banging, works the best. Keep the end going into the bullet as flat as possible, don't want to wedge or split/expand the bullet.

The shortest distance is always best, but when the receiver blocks that... Also, pointy bullets have the habit of slipping the rod down the side.

8. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

I have several squib removers. Some are wood dowels, but the aluminum ones the best. I keep 2 long ones ( .22 & .30cal) sizes. Then I have several short ones for Pistol & subguns (9mm &.45cal). Wood dowels work ok, but tend to splinter on the really pointed projectiles ie: .223. The aluminum ones work the best. I drill out a relieve so that the projectile is centered. Why do I do this - a squib can really ruin a shoot and here is some proof due to a OOB.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]