Squib

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by isaac007, Jun 28, 2014.

1. isaac007

isaac007 New Member

Had a squib today with my sig

2. JayCody

JayCody New Member

Squibs can be an extremely dangerous situation. If you don't mind me asking, did you use reloaded ammo? If not what brand?

3. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Yeah, never actually seen one before. Seems a very unlikely thing worth modern factory loads.

4. G30USMC

G30USMC Well-Known Member Supporter

Never had one with my Glock :D

5. isaac007

isaac007 New Member

It was hand loaded 9mm. With w231,winchester case, cci sp primer.

6. hk45

hk45 Member

Dumb question. What's a squib

7. G30USMC

G30USMC Well-Known Member Supporter

a firearms malfunction in which a fired projectile does not have enough force behind it to exit the barrel, and thus becomes stuck.

8. hk45

hk45 Member

Oh ok never heard that term before besides in aviation maintenance. Thanks

9. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Squibs are due to undercharged ammo. The bullet does not have enough energy to leave the barrel and gets stuck.

A single squib is no big deal. The problem comes when you don't recognize what happened and continue shooting. You'll bulge a barrel or possibly blow up a barrel if you don't clear the squib bullet before firing more bullets behind it.

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I always take a cleaning rod (long enough for the barrel of any firearm with me) when I shoot at the range.

Once, I had some factory that had my 9mm acting like a black powder firearm.
    Click........bang.......

The biggest problem was not knowing when the bang would come after the click of the hammer hitting firing pin.

This was ammo that was in my home defense 9mm and may have gotten contaminated by oil.

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

that's a hangfire! those are dangerous as well. people have been hurt and killed by hangfires.

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Most of the time a squib will not function the slide and cause a jam. The tendency is to clear the jam and keep shooting and that is where you can get hurt or dead. Last week I had a round the did not eject but partially functioned the slide. I had to drop the mag, lock the slide open and check the barrel. You might notice the difference in the recoil. If the round does not eject there is a good chance it did not clear the barrel. By not eject I mean it is still in the chamber. Squibs are extremely dangerous in revolvers where the tendency is to pull the trigger again. There is no jam or malfunction to warn you. Only the recoil and report.
    danf_fl; When the police were still using revolvers a range officer/instructor I knew used to make the officers fire their carry load before they could shoot practice rounds. Unbelievable how many squibs, hang fires and failures to fire there were. One of the reasons police went to shooting duty rounds to qualify.

13. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

I had two out of the same box of Federal. Both happened during a match while shooting my Glock 34. I immediately took some pics and sent them to Federal. They were nice enough to send me a new box free of charge.

14. isaac007

isaac007 New Member

I think it might of been bad primers I had one about week early before this one. Pulled about 50 or so that we're left. they all had the same amount of powder.

15. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Yes, it certainly can be caused by a defective primer or one that has been compromised for example someone using WD-40 on their weapons since it is a penetrating oil. Not a good gun lubricant.
    But in other cases it can be caused by a short powder drop charge or in some instances no powder at all and the primer ignition drives the bullet into the barrel of the pistol.
    The main thing is pay attention to your pistols and if something seems, feels or sounds different "Stop Shooting" until you check it out! Squibs can happen!

16. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I was loading with my progressive yesterday. I loaded about 150 rounds. I noticed a load that looked low. I thought maybe it was my imagination. So I slowly watched as I did the next 5 or 6. They all looked good. Then I kept watching after a couple more good ones I spotted one that had almost no powder. I don't take chances. I used my bullet puller and dissasembled every round that I made.

I had a squib round when I was working up a .32 acp load for an old Iver Johnson revolver that shoots .32 S&W Long. I was expecting it though. I was making it as light as possible to avoid blowing up the gun. After about 5 or 6 trys I made good ammo for it.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

happens in all ammo. mistakes happen or in the case of remington ammo its the standard...:D