Squib load in a firefight?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by beastmode986, Feb 25, 2014.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

How would you handle this? You're in a firefight ''bang'' ''bang'' ''bang'' ''pop'' you have a squib load, bullet lodged in your barrel. If you do try clearing the malfunction using the ''tap rack bang'' method you could injure yourself or those around you but what else can you do if youre in a firefight?

Seems like it would suck if you were soldier and this happened in the heat of battle.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, pretty much sums it up. Tap & rack is for failure to feed. No quick way to remove a stuck bullet.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Pull out your BUG and keep shooting. :D

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

5. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Run like hell and serpentine, serpentine!:eek:

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

When all else fails, there is a reason they gave us these things.....

bayonet001.jpg

7. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

No personal experience, but my best guess is that you would not notice, think there was another problem, and chamber and fire another round. It has never happened to me in any circumstance, but I hear it can be overlooked or mis-diangnosed, even when target shooting.

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Sidearm until another rifle becomes available.

9. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

So true.

In the heat of a real fight one would not be likely to notice.
    when you fire the next round if you are very lucky it might even expel the squibb. or more likely it will blow up the barrel...

Likely there will be dead guys lieing around form whom you can get another rifle

10. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

Ask for a cease fire until you get it corrected.

11. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

I know that we were extensively taught about squibs in Basic rifle marksmanship except they called them pop no kicks. I was luck to have several individually assigned weapons that I carried everywhere so I could switch to something else not every soldier has a secondary weapon. Depending on the type of unit you are in it is very likely you will just have an M16/M4. I mean I guess it is situational if you have a secondary or tertiary weapon use that. If not and a buddies rifle is laying there cause he was wounded use that. If you have someone who is carrying a secondary grab that from them and stay in the fight. Is there an unmanned crew served weapon nearby hop in that and charlie mike. Are the enemy close enough for hand to hand? Use my e tool or knife and hope I kill them first and relieve them of the weapon they are carrying. If you are in a relatively safe fighting position with others keeping up fire grab your cleaning kit and run the rod down the barrel. I mean the options are endless. FWIW I have never seen nor heard of this happening in combat.

12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Tap Rack BOOM !!!!!

13. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Defensive maneuver:
    1. Quickly get to a sitting position, with your knees bent.
    2. Keeping your back straight, bend forward from the hips.
    3. Grab your ankles, and
    4. Kiss your a$$ goodbye.

14. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

This is why plastic guns are a bad idea. I'd rather have a nice heavy piece of steel in my hand that could at least be used for club.

15. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

shoot I would jack you up with my M4 especially if it was already inop I would'nt care about a bent buffer tube I would just be like "BUTTSTROKE TO THE HEAD, MOVE" just like in basic. Worst case scenario my e tool was always sharp and i could damn near decapitate someone using that

16. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Well the firefights I have been in there was no shortage of 'weapons'. If one of your guys is down use his. If you are at CQ use one of theirs.
    Frags are a last resort, but they do work well if you have the guts to cook them off !;)
    I had a 45 with two extra mags on me even while I carried a 16.:cool:

17. JW357

JW357 New Member

If I were lucky enough to NOTICE the squib load:

1) Seek better cover
    2) Assess (are more weapons available? If this is a civilian defensive shooting, try to disengage - I probably will never carry a BUG as a civilian)

18. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

The most important part of this is to recognize the symptoms of a squib load. That may be a real problem in a firefight. I carry a BUG, but I don't know if I'd recognize the low report and low recoil of a squib load if I were rapid-firing quickly enough to stop the next trigger pull in time. I hope I would.
    Maybe the answer is to slow down and carefully aim the shots, which would allow time to react to a squib load. Also, one careful and accurate shot beats 5 panicky hurried shots any day. I hope my efforts in practice can be carried over to a real event if it ever happens.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  19. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

You should be only shooting if you have a 'target' to begin with!!!:confused:
    If you are in the 'spray and pray' mode it will not matter if you have a weapons malfunction anyway! ;)

20. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Agreed. I've not been in a firefight as a civilian, and make every effort to avoid such. I do carry a BUG, and would use it if I recognized a squib load. Your point is well taken, I've been concerned about that and worked to be able to slow down and control my shots, especially since reading about the incidents in which the NYPD officers sprayed-n-prayed and hit a bunch of innocent bystanders.