Springfield XDs 9 vs Smith & Wesson M&P shield 40.

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by sputnik1988, Jun 15, 2013.

1. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Yup, another one of these threads, anyway I'm in need of a new edc handgun and I've narrowed it down to these two, but im torn.

I hate the idea of a manual safety on the Shield, but the XDs is not quite as affordable, but I also like the fiber optic front sight.
    There are plenty of biased opinions on the web but I'm looking for something a bit more objective.

Opinions? Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  2. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Never shot the Shield, just held it but the XDs dug into my hand a little when I was shooting that from the aggressiveness on the grips but a hogue grip would probably fix that. Recoil was very manageable though

3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Why not add a Kahr CW series to the mix. Can be bought in 9mm, 40 and 45.

Also get an old used 1.75" inner tube and cut in to make a grip cover that's can made to cover more grip are than other after market slip ons. And its free at bike shops in the used tire and tube pile.

Fiber optic sights can be added to all of these. Dawson Precision and in different heights and widths.

4. BigL1979

BigL1979 New Member

The cheapest XDs 9mm I have seen is 529 , new. Got my M&P Shield for 399 in .40 cal. A caliber not offered in the XDs line. I already had 700 rounds of .40 S&W saved up from having a G23 and did not want to downsize to the 9mm. The shield feels amazing in my hands. And saved me about 140 bucks plus cost of new ammo. Just throwing that out there.

5. JW357

JW357 New Member

Never shot either, but I own an M&P9c and have held the XDs. It seemed to me the XDs had a high bore axis? I could be misremembering. I don't personally like the feel of a gun with a higher bore axis. My M&P sits comfortably low in the hand.

If you were talking the same caliber, a gun with a higher bore axis will have more felt recoil. But, because you're talking two different calibers anyway, this prolly isn't an issue.

So really it comes down to what feels the best. Both are quality firearms.

6. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Have both Shield and XDS9, i will choose the XDS9. It's more accurate than the Shield. The only cons are it's aggresive grip and Raven hasn't made the Phantom holster for it yet.

7. IvanKaz

IvanKaz New Member

I've shot both guns, but in a different caliber. I own the M&P Shield in 9mm and a buddy of mine has the XDS in 45acp. I love the Shield. It is very comfortable to shoot (it feels to me almost as comfortable to shoot as the Glock 19), accurate and very reliable (about 500 rounds with no malfunctions). The xds is also very comfortable to shoot and its very manageable for such a light pistol in a large caliber. I imagine the xds in 9mm would be as comfortable to shoot as the Shield 9mm, while I imagine the Shield in 40 S&W might be a bit snappy.

8. simpkinst

simpkinst New Member

I like the M&P 9c better than both of those. No manual safety and fits my hand better than the XPs or shield. Just about the same size as the shield, just a bit wider. Actually cannot tell the difference in the holster.

I like both companies and tried all 3 out before buying. I also have a full size XP in 45, so I was very interested in the XPs. The 9c just felt better to me. Not to mention the smoking deal at 375 plus tax new.

9. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I'm carrying a Glock 19 now, my only complaint is the thickness, especially through the grip. That was my reasoning for the shield and XDs.

It's not that its too big to conceal, its just not all that comfortable in the waistband, I have carried my full size 1911 IWB also and its not too bad except for the slide length so I was thinking something around that thickness without the $1000 price tag to go along with it.

10. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Beretta Px4 Storm subcompact? DA/SA, decocker.

11. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

Love my PX4 subcompact but it is a little thick to iwb carry.However a great shooter making even 40. quick to follow up.

12. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think you can go wrong with either!!!:)
    My son, who is a southpaw, got the shield and really likes the accuracy and the way it handles but found he could not change the safety to the 'other' side as he could his other M&P's so he is considering the XDs.

13. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Get the Springer XDs, its going to cost more but it is worth it. Very reliable and high quality.

14. ALfiremedic1

ALfiremedic1 New Member

So to answer your question. I have owned both guns, and a Kahr that was mentioned earlier. I liked the Shield, but the trigger was my main issue. It was gritty, even after I polished it. I couldn't justify spending 100 bucks for a trigger kit either. I sold it and bought the xds 45. I love it. No issues. I work with my hands, so no soft grip needed. Trigger is nice, and recoil is really manageable. Yes the price is higher, but it was well worth it for me.

15. ThinkFastHolsters

ThinkFastHolsters New Member

I got the Shield in 9mm the day it was released last April. I love it and between it, my g19, and M&P9 full, the Shield has been carried 85%-90% of the time over the last year+. That being said, the XDs is extremely intriguing especially now that the 9mm version is out (im not a fan of .45 outside of full size guns) but I would never replace one with the other. I think part of the hype is the "newness" factor of the XDs9. I plan on owning an XDs9 in the near future or whenever the price comes down a little and would probably rotate between it and the Shield evenly. The Shield is about 800~ rounds strong with no issue so its clearly a winner for me. Outside of handling the XDs blue gun when making holsters I have no hands on but ergonomically Id say they are on the same page. Ive always been partial to S&W over Springfield anywho.

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I compared the 2 side by side. Almost identical in size. Shield was 4 oz lighter and $100 less. Triggers were about the same. Neither was great but pretty typical for a striker. I went for the Shield. Handles a whole bunch better than that crappy PF9 I had for a very short time. Recoil is mild and pockets pretty well. I ran 50 rounds of hardball and 50 xtp's slow and fast with no malfunctions.

17. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

I've shot the shield and loved it.

Have an XDS on back order... just like SA products :)

18. ThinkFastHolsters

ThinkFastHolsters New Member

HA! sounds like we were in the same boat. I bought a PF9 and 3 weeks later the Shield came out. Sold the PF9 as soon as I learned about the Shield and bought the Shield on release day. Best. Decision. EVER!

19. ALfiremedic1

ALfiremedic1 New Member

Honesty I hated the shield. Good gun, crappy trigger. That was my only complaint.

20. JW357

JW357 New Member

Supposedly the new Shields that come out have better triggers with them.