Springfield XDM 9mm

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by wick060, Jun 27, 2010.

1. wick060

wick060 New Member

Is there any problem with buying a gun that is on display? I bought my first handgun today. A Springfield XDM 9mm at a Bass Pro Shops. They didn't have any in the back, all they had was the display gun. It looked just fine and there was a trigger guard on it so it hasn't been dry fired a bunch of times. Should I be worried about anything?

2. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

You should be fine. I also think they have a good warranty policy. Congrats, there are some xd lovers here.

3. wick060

wick060 New Member

Thanks for the reply. Obviously I'm new to gun ownership but I just want to make sure there aren't issues with buying a display gun.

4. wick060

wick060 New Member

does anyone else have an opinion on this?

5. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

It's the same gun as the others only it has been fondled by some people. There's nothing to worry about imo.

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

You should be fine as long as it is sold to you as NIB with all original SA warranties in place. Dry firing should not be an issue since many gun shops do not like customers pulling the trigger or excessively racking the slides anyway. Good luck with your purchase and hope you enjoy the new XDm. Also, since Bass Pro Shops do not have ranges, as far as I know, there should not have been any rounds put through it except for the factory test and casing marking.

7. wick060

wick060 New Member

Thanks for the reassuarance guys. I feel much better about this now. Thanks for the warm welcome and I'm looking forward to the new gun.

8. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Dude, I am a gun dealer, now when I go to do a gun show I bring hundreds of guns with me. Do you think Anyone who sells gun s can afford to pay full price to have hundreds of demo models sitting around? What else could I do with a demo gun, if it doesn't sell? Throw it in the trash?

9. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Absolutely not!! Just send it to me at a 50% discount. :D

10. wick060

wick060 New Member

Just picked it up guys! Pretty excited. Should I give this thing a good cleaning before I go shoot it?

11. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Good Deal,
    and Yes, you should clean & lubricate all moving parts before shooting.

12. detroit2786

detroit2786 New Member

The Bass Pro Shop by me has a range, but they don't rent guns.

Just an FYI

13. wick060

wick060 New Member

Thanks, I'll clean it tonight then.

This Bass Pro Shop does not have a range. I inquired a bit deeper when I was there today and it has only been shot the once when they do it at the factory. I appreciate the help though guys, I feel alot better about the purchase.

14. tcraig23

tcraig23 New Member

You should be just fine. Congrats on the SA, those are so cool looking.

15. Uchahi

Uchahi New Member

I try not to buy display gun for the reasons: People like to rack the slide about a billion time to that creates wear on the gun, the gun getting dry fire is pretty common as well, and they are not treated very well. These are all my opinions and it maybe completely different where you are. But I see a lot of the same everywhere I go.

16. wick060

wick060 New Member

Update- I took it to someone I know well that has shot handguns for decades and had him teach me how to clean it. Cleaned it real well and really just learned how to take care of it for the most part.
    Took it to the range for the first time today. Shot 300 rounds through it. No issues at all. The longer I shot it the smoother it felt. It just seemed to load easier and the overall mechanics just seemed nice and smooth, no other way to put it I guess.
    So I took it home and cleaned it on my own. The only thing that seems different now is that the magazine seems to not fit into place as easy nor popping it of the frame is as easy as before. Is it because I may not have used enough oil? Any ideas?

17. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

A fully loaded mag? XDs and I believe XDms are known for stiff mag springs that make loading and unloading a full mag a tad difficult, my XD 40 was a real bear to load at first. Try it with 1 round below capacity until it loosens up a bit or push up on the bottom of the mag before depressing the mag release.