Springfield xd or xdm?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by maddog1618, Dec 10, 2011.

1. maddog1618

maddog1618 New Member

Is there a big difference between the xd and xd(m)

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Most benefit is in capacity...9mm goes from 16 to 19, .40 S&W goes from 12 to 16 I believe, no added capacity for .45 ACP, both are 13+1. Other enhancements of the XDm are a match barrel, different grip with adjustable back strap, "better" trigger (shorter reset) and trigger-less takedown. Just my perception but my XDm .45 ACP feels lighter and a little more balanced than my XD in 40 S&W...could just be the different barrel lengths, 4.5" and 5", respectively.

If the extras are worth it to you then go with the XDm otherwise the XD is a rock solid choice...either way you will be pleased with the gun.

3. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Other than the barrel and grip, the differences are as important as you prefer. For myself, I find the XDm fits me better. Play with them and see what you prefer.

4. maddog1618

maddog1618 New Member

Sorry im pretty new to the gun world but what is a match barrel

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

match barrel as SA defines it. more quality control tighter tolerances.

the xdm in 45acp is a little slimmer grip than the xd.

personally i like the xdm better. the grip fits me better with the adjustable backstraps. the whole gun feels better balanced just a lot of very minor changes. i dont care for the xd much but the changes in the xdm are just enough to make it ideal for me. im very picky about handguns and rifles

6. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Better steel and better rifling.

7. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Substitute the word 'match' with the word 'competition' as in 'competition barrel'.

8. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

XDM is piece of cake to take down. I love the size of the XDM compact.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have handled both and the XDm fits my hand better. the XD is very good, but the XDm is great. the top of the slide is contoured a little differently than the XD also, a little thinner at the top of it. i bought the XDm-40 and truly love it. i never thought i would say that about a polymer pistol!