Springfield Trapdoor Info!!

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by TacticalGuy15, Aug 9, 2011.

1. TacticalGuy15

TacticalGuy15 New Member

I was given a Springfield Trapdoor Rifle and i know nothing about it. I dont know what year it is or what caliber it is. Is there a way i can identify these things? Are these rifles valuable? Any info is greatly appreciated!

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Get us some pictures of it and maybe we can help. Depending value can be all over the board as well as condition. Whether it was a converted muzzle loader back during the civil war or made as a trap door later. :)

3. TacticalGuy15

TacticalGuy15 New Member

I hope these pics were what you were after. If you need others just let me know what you need to see. Thanks

Attached Files:

4. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

LUCKY! if you go to shoot it make sure you have a knife or something. Somtimes the shells get stuck.

5. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Take a look at the top of the trap door next to the hinge, does it have a model number such as 1873 or 1884? Also, are there any proof marks on the barrel just above the chamber? Most of these rifles were chambered in 45-70 and that is with black powder so DO NOT shoot smokeless powder in these rifles. Here is a good website for trapdoor rifles

The U.S. Springfield Trapdoor Rifle Information Center

Scubie

6. TacticalGuy15

TacticalGuy15 New Member

There isnt any date on it anywhere but there are proof marks on the barrel. It looks like a V then a P then something i cant make out then another P. I provided a picture of it. There is also the letter U stamped on both barrel rings. I dont know if they mean anything but they are there.

Attached Files:

7. TacticalGuy15

TacticalGuy15 New Member

As soon as i figure out what caliber it is i would love to shoot it. Ill bring a knife just in case. Thanks for the advise. It would suck to go out somewhere to shoot and stick a case and not be able to get it out. Lol

8. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

look at the rear of the rifle next to the hammer, what is your serial number?

Scubie

I have two of these one full rifle like yours and a carbine. My rifle is a model 1873 and the carbine is a model 1884.

9. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Here is a picture of where to look for the model number. look at the hinge on the left.

Attached Files:

10. Sniper03

Can you get us a close up picture of the cleaning rod at the front of the barrel. I believe it is an 1873

11. Sniper03

Scubie,

Nice Rifle!

12. TacticalGuy15

TacticalGuy15 New Member

I took 2 pics Of the cleaning rod, if its not the right spot let me know......... The serial number is 29531 and on yours where it says the date i can see where it says us then maybe model under that but no date on mine. Im sure it was there at one time but mine isnt as nice as yours.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  13. Sniper03

Scubie is skilled in this field since he collects a few! I agree with him from what I can see it is a US Springfield 1873 Rifle in 45-70. As they have advised if you do shoot it I would recomend remote for the first few times. Make sure the bore is fairly good and free of obstructions and "Only" use Black Powder Cartridges not modern ammunition. Best to get with Scubie or someone that knows alot more than I do about shooting the trap doors and where to get the cartridges. She is an old one.
    Noticed there might be some pins missing on the Side Lock Plates you will need to ask Scubie or one of the other guys here regarding that. A little rough but nice old piece.

14. TacticalGuy15

TacticalGuy15 New Member

Sounds good. I appteciate all your help. I got all the answeres i was looking for. Ill ask scubie if its safe to shoot missing that pin. Its not a must to shoot it but it would be nice! : ) Thanks again

15. TacticalGuy15

TacticalGuy15 New Member

Just curious, in the condition its in, what would you put the value at? Im not looking to sell it or anything, i just always like to kmow what my firearms are worth.

16. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

You got yourself a fine rifle....

The Springfield Trapdoors started their lives as the 1861 Springfield Rifled Musket that was used heavily by the North during the American Civil War.

after a few years and the development of the contained cartridge, a guy got the great idea to just take existing military weapons and convert them rather than buy new ones.

They cut the breech and added the trap door and voila...a trapdoor springfield.....

yours is most likely chambered in .45-70 government. a .45 caliber round with 70 grains of powder behind it (big slow round, lots of punch)

ENJOY!

17. TacticalGuy15

TacticalGuy15 New Member

Well thank you. I appreciate the info. I wasnt aware of any of that. I think the history of weapons is very interesting!

18. Sniper03

Bottom line you have a fine old rifle with a lot of history! I would love historic weapons like the one you have. And wow, to hear the story of it's history if it could only talk!

19. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

First shots use a varmit load

I use a 45-70 case and .457 round lead ball thumbed in the case over a charge of 23gr of Pyrodex Pistol P (My 1860 .44 cap & ball load)this should be pretty accurate in your old gun and not unduley stress the old relic and still have plenty of Ommpfh to take dog size critters at 50 yards. works great in My Navy Arms 45-70 Remington Rolling Block

20. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

value of yours is $350 to $600 most likely. hard to place value with out hands on. Value changes in different parts of the USA