Springfield Range Officer Compact

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by junglejim, Aug 12, 2014.

1. junglejim

junglejim New Member

Anyone know when the Springfield Range Officer Compact 45 will show up in local gun stores? I thought they were supposed to be out in July and now it is August and my LGSs can't get one yet.

2. JCS53

JCS53 That looks like it hurt Lifetime Supporter

The Springfield website shows them and says it is available...But...I have never seen one yet either:confused:

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the distributors probably don't even have them in stock yet.

4. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Last I heard from Rob Leatham( Springfield rep and pro shooter) was not until late August....they first go to media( not me I can assure you. I can't get them to send me anything without a 6-12 month wait) and select vendors for in store demo units. I'm still waiting for an RO 9MM,...which should be at my FFL between now and NewYears,....
    Edit: they are a great company with great products,..but like all good things, there is a wait involved when it's something new or your asking for a review item,...then again, I pay for what we test anyway....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  5. junglejim

junglejim New Member

My LGS says they are "allocated" to their supplier, but not yet available. I don't know what all that means, but I'd like to get my hands on one. In the meantime I'll have to get by with my XD and SIG. I'm just a little concerned about how much fun it will be to shoot the aluminum frame 45. And I'm assuming the 4" bull barrel will be much better than the 3" compacts. Anxiously waiting.

6. junglejim

junglejim New Member

OK, it looks like they are our now (sort of).
    Had one ordered at LGS #1 and they can't get one.
    LGS #2 can get one, so I ordered one.
    Should be next week. Can't wait.
    I may sell my XD9 it this RO compact is as good as I'm thinking.

7. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

You can find almost anything on gunwatcher.

8. junglejim

junglejim New Member

Finally got one. Only a couple mags through it so far, but it will be a keeper. Very tight. Shoots way better than me. The trigger has more travel than I like, but it may get better after a few hundred more rounds (or I may learn to like it). I'm headed to the range now.

9. Axxe55

the more you shoot it, the more you'll like it and the better it will get.

10. DrFootball

Jim, it means that the supplier has them on order, and your dealer gets what he ordered for his customers(You!) We're always glad for anyone who gets new stuff to play with. You will have to decide for yourself if the Aluminum frame is lights and you feel more recoil. I shot a LW Commander and A Steel Combat Commander when I was buying one (Colt) in 1980, and I went with the steel frame, but that was just me, YMMV,.....
    I really want the 9MM one to see if it's actually better bet the Rock Island.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  11. Axxe55

i think it means the distributors have take orders from the dealers and those first coming out go to the distributors that have them allotted to them from their dealers. they fill allotted orders first out the first production runs.

it took me about three months to get the new Marlin i ordered when Marlin announced bringing it out. after i read about it, my LGS got on the phone and started calling his distributors, and none of them had any in stock yet.

my guess that depending on supply and demand for a new gun, it can be anywhere from 2-6 months from the time you read about a new one before they hit the gun stores.

12. nfafun

nfafun New Member

Seriously considering to trade my XDs 45 for this.
    Bull barrel handles recoil better I reckon.

13. junglejim

junglejim New Member

Recoil is a non issue with this gun even with Critical Dutys. The snap from this 45 isn't as much as from my SIG 938 9mm (comparing a 1# gun to a 2# gun).

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  14. DrFootball

Overs implication of what I said,. But true. This is an issue in the industry. Companies "Release" new products, then you have to wait months to buy it, because unlike the electronics industry, the firearms industry can't keep up with demand..

15. junglejim

junglejim New Member

After spending a little more time on the range with this gun now I'm certain it is a keeper. Of course some things could be a little better, but guns with that fine of finishes cost several hundred more than this one. Great qulaity and performance at a reasonable cost. It isn't so expensive I hate to carry it and just plain use it, but yet it will hang with the more expensive Colts and Kimbers etc. I believe it is a great value.

Zero malfunctions (from the gun, not me).

16. junglejim

junglejim New Member

Yep, me too. I jsut sold my XD. I'm keeping the RO Compact.

After several more trips to the range now I still have zero malfunctions with every kind of ammo I fed it.