Springfield Range Officer 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by arashid630, Dec 15, 2013.

1. arashid630

arashid630 New Member

What do you guys think about the Range Officer by Springfield

2. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

I think you need to be more specific. Springfield has a very good reputation and warranty if the range officer is the size and weight you are looking for.

3. j4454

j4454 New Member

I think Springfield makes a decent weapon. I know some that love them. For that price range I would go colt. 1. Because it's the original 2. Made in USA 3. Springfield triggers in my experience are heavy from the factory.

With that said I like the sights on the range officer and it's a trigger job away(70 series is the best) from being a great shooter.

Sig also makes a very underrated 1911s in that price range

4. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Make sure you want/like Bomar sights.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have an old Springer that I swear SA used as an example to set up the Range Officer.

If they copied mine correctly, then you should have no problems.

6. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

The RO is a great gun for the money. All SA guns are now made in the US. The gun was designed to be like the TRP without some of the bells and whistles. The only reason I don't own one is I don't like target sights. If you can stand the rear sight it is a real good buy for the money.

7. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I shot my Uncle's RO and I loved it! It was very, very easy to shoot and be accurate with!

8. arashid630

arashid630 New Member

The trigger did feel a bit heavy I just blamed it on needing a bit of new owner TLC & I actually fell in love with the sights... I guess I'm wondering if that's really as good of a beginners level competition gun gun as I've been told

9. arashid630

arashid630 New Member

I have a Desert Eagle 1911G it shoots great, I was just planning on getting another 1911 with target sights & the price was well within my range

10. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Then you won't be disappointed. Springer makes great guns and a superb 1911.

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have owned several SA 1911's over the years, and have not been disappointed with any of them. i have looked at buying the RO several times at my LGS, but just haven't yet. it's a fine pistol from what i have seen personally. well made and well finished, and decently priced. it appears to be designed more for target shooting. in buying the RO for myself, it would be more want, than need for it. as said, i do feel the RO has a bit heavier trigger pull than my other 1911', but i would not let that deter me in buying in the least, because it could be fixed rather easily, IMO.

so if you like the RO and are comfortable with the price being asked, then buy it with confidence. SA makes some really fine products and has a pretty decent warranty as well.

12. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

I gotta tell ya that the RO ,with match grade barrel, is the most accurate pistol I own, and have ever shot.
    I ,personally, dont think the trigger is heavy, im guessing ,by my others , its about 5 lbs.
    Im not as good a shooter as when I was younger, but this pistol , makes me feel young again,its so so so accurate.
    You get used to the target sights and you might just like em, I did.

[​IMG]

Jim

13. arashid630

arashid630 New Member

Sounds great guys. Thanks!! Although I probably won't Use it as my CCW apply because I'm just custom to the sights on the DE.. But the first time I looked through the sight on the RO "I like these sights" blurred out my mouth and my neighbor has an old Essex arms 1911 70 series with target sights and and it naturally gives me a tighter shot group. So you can see why I also want one... I'm guessing it's not that bad to get use to target sights for CC?

14. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Member Lifetime Supporter

I have the RO and it is among my favorite shooters out of my 1911 collection. Everyone I know that has bought one has been very pleased.

15. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

There is nothing wrong with doing that at all...
    It's just that the squared off corners of the adjustable target sights are somewaht sharp and can dig into your sides and/or get hung up on your clothes/shirt while drawing.
    Some have had the corners filed down/rounded off a bit to carry.

16. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

The RO is a lot of 1911 for the money. I had the opportunity to take one for a spin a couple times. Accurate, reliable and a generally positive experience. For a general purpose 1911 you can't do much better in that price class. However, for concealed carry, it wouldn't be top of my list. Yes it will work, but there are compromises to be made.
    A common joke is that the Springfield Armory Legal Department does the triggers. They are decent but noticeably heavier than most. A quick trigger job and my Trophy Match went from acceptable to brilliant.

17. arashid630

arashid630 New Member

I usually carry my DE1911G IWB if I carry the RO it will probably be in my Galco shoulder holster to prevent the snagging caused by the target sights, although I can see that still become just a snag from a discomfort & snag.... As far as filing the side of the rear sight goes any ideas on making in look good still?

18. arashid630

arashid630 New Member

Any suggestions on the trigger job? Or should I just try and get custom to the existing trigger

19. arashid630

arashid630 New Member

Another question I have an EFK fire dragon ported/match barrel(never fired) it just fell into my lap would you guys recommend using it?

20. arashid630

arashid630 New Member

On either weapon mentioned on this thread?