Springfield Model 15.

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Ploofy, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

This is a .22 long rifle made in 1938 that is a little bit of a family heirloom. It's working parts have been very well maintained. There is even hardly any wear on the barrel. However, since it is still used, we were wondering how best to adjust the sights. It appears that we have to use a hammer.... Is there any other way to do it? Help would be greatly appreciated.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

To adjust sights on most 22 rifles for WINDAGE (left to right) they are drifted (moved) in a dovetail slot. You use a BRASS flat punch, and a hammer. Usually the front sight is centered, and the rear sight moved. Try soaking in a couple of drops of a good penetrant oil for a few hours before tapping the sight.

3. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Fixed that for ya.... ;) :p

4. c3shooter

Agree. IMHO. Kroil is the best thing since pop top cans.

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Hey, I found Fluid Film is a great penetrating oil also.
    I do believe the rear sight is not dove tailed on the 15. The front sight is. You should see a visible line on the barrel and blade that shows center. There are sight adjusting tools that will work best. I've used an AK/SKS on these types as it will slide over the barrel.

As stated, a brass punch, hammer and wood block would work. I bet if you tried some different ammo your poi would change.

6. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

The rear sight on my Stevens Model 15 is attatched by a single large screw. You'll need to tap the front sight. Shouldn't need much - these simple little rifles are very good shooters!
    Got mine when I was about 12, from an uncle. I am 53 now. Been refinished a couple times, but still whole and accurate!

7. c3shooter