Springfield mil-spec?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by mossberg kid, Jul 12, 2008.

1. mossberg kid

mossberg kid New Member

Im looking to get a new pistol for carry and the night stand. I have been looking around for a while and im pretty sure i want a 1911. My problem is i only have 500 to spend on it. I found a springfield mil-spec stainless for 480 but i know nothing about there reliability and when the other 1911s are running around seven or eight hundred it made me think. Is this going to be a trust worthy gun? How accurate is it? What do you guys think? i look forward to hearing what you have to say :)

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well, first off, congratulations on the decision to add a pistol to your home/person and a great choice in choosing the 1911 line. John Browning's masterpiece is still the Godfather of modern autoloading pistols for a reason.

The Springfield Mil-Spec Stainless? Assuming you are talking about a 5" model - the 2008 dealer pricing is $588 and the MSRP is $784. Based on your price listed, I would assume this model is possibly a couple of years old, or it's used.

Springfield has been up and down in the world of pistol manufacturing. Lately, there stuff has been pretty good. I don't know the date they started to decline, but you will find information all over the internet that they went downhill at some point, then made a change and started taking back "their good name".

That said, you might want to check out the Taurus line of 1911 pistols. They are very well built in a CNC shop and they offer a true lifetime warranty, no matter what happens, or who you buy/sell it to/from, they stand behind their product.

Something like this, if you could find it at a local dealer, might be within your price range if you have cash.

Good luck -

JD

3. NYPD13

NYPD13 New Member

When I Decided To Get A 1911, I Wanted A High Capacity Variant. I Went With The Springfield Gi45 High Cap Which I Found For $500 And Have Had No Problems With It At All. Reliable And More Affordable Than Para Ordinance Or Kimber. Stainless Mil Specs In My Area Tend To Be In The $700+ Range So It Sounds Like You're Getting A Good Deal If Nib. As For A Carry Piece I Would Look At Their Champion Series Or Similar Four Inch Pistol For General Purpose (carry,home,target). Otherwise It Sounds Like A Great Deal For A Great Gun, I Would Buy It.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

The Springfield MilSpec (not the G.I.) was my first 1911. It was accurate right out of the box. I had a few FTF's and FTE's on the first outing, but more or less expected that. It was a new, tight and stiff pistol. ;)
    It became 100% dependable by the second range trip, feeding 230 gr. FMJ's. I didn't run hollow points at that time.
    Initially the trigger pull was a bit stiff, but smooth with no sense of "ratcheting".
    I eventually sent it off to Springfield Custom and then to Novak's for some work and the result was a pistol that was almost boring to shoot, it was so smooth and accurate.
    IMHO, buy it, clean it and shoot the heck out of it. It's a great sidearm. :cool:

BTW, the G.I. is also fine, but lacks a few features of the MilSpec like three dot sights and a lowered and flared ejection port. I have old eyes and needed better sights than the stock combat sights. ;)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  5. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

What ever you decide to get, make sure it has the lowered, flared ejection port and a lowered, polished feed ramp. Those are really the 2 additions that are absolutely necessary for a 1911 to function really well.

6. ScottG

ScottG New Member

Would anyone trust an original WWI or WWII issue 1911 as a daily use or home defense gun?

7. matt g

I'd love to have one, but I have 1911s that are better suited for the job.

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That's a tough call. Perhaps after shooting the heck out of it and being sure that it's 100% reliable, then maybe.

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Is it a service piece? One that was carried by our soldiers in the trenches?

If it was a service piece, if it saw action, and if it performed for me when I tested it at the range? Yeah, I would trust it - certain weapons deserve the benefit of the doubt, so some range time with a quality design like the 1911 would earn a place in my house.

You can't fade a design like the 1911 - when correctly built, it is one of the finest pieces to have at your side.

JD

10. ScottG

ScottG New Member

Yeah, I was thinking of buying an original someday. Why get a clone when you can get an original? I saw a couple at a recent show and they weren't too outrageous in price. Once I get a real job :p

11. matt g

1911s are like Corvettes, both original American iron. A '63 Stingray is probably the coolest 'Vette ever built, however, an '08 will blow the doors off of it in terms of reliability and performance.

A WWII issue M1911A1 would be one of the coolest guns to own, however a brand new Kimber or Para will blow the doors off of the old school Colt.

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

If I had an ISSUE WORLD WAR ONE 1911, would I trust it? You betcha! I would trust it to be sold in a heartbeat- and the money would by me 3 new Colt 1911's !!! Have you guys checked prices on ORIGINAL MILITARY issue 45s from WW I and WW II ? If I had an original Ford Model T, probably would not use it to run to the grocery store. Could it do it? yes, but......

13. ScottG

ScottG New Member

$1000 for a reparked 1913 dated Colt, $1200 for a 1943 Remington Rand, both at a local gun show two weeks ago. I've seen online dealers with higher prices. I would want one for the history as well as personal use. Wouldn't think of selling one if I had one.

14. fandersonsr

fandersonsr New Member

My first XDm was a .40, 1500 never a problem with this weapon. easy break down for cleaning. Gave that one to my youngest so (42) after getting a .40 XDm compact, and 2 days ago I finally got my XDm .45. So I guess you can say I am very happy with my Sprinfields. When you get one shoothe hell outt and keep it clean.

AK GreyWolf