Springfield mil spec, 1917 Eddystone Enfield

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by trip286, Feb 19, 2012.

1. trip286

trip286 New Member

86 rounds, four shooters, no hiccups, hang ups, FTAnything...

First mag, no plus one, just the standard seven round load.

A bit of a trigger push issue, resulting in a leftward group with that wonderful flyer. 30 feet.

View attachment 39680

Same target, centered up the group a bit, same distance... Second mag.

Beyond that, between all the shooters, four different guns, and the rest of my ammo, the targets get too chewed up.

I broke out my rifle at the very end, and it's shooting about 1.5' right at sixty yards or so. Not bad considering I took the scope off to clean everything, and was just basically doing a function check. It held a one inch group, standing, using a tree limb as a rest.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. trip286

trip286 New Member

I don't know what's up with that third pic, it's a double post of the first.

Fixed it.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

I would have shot more, but I only got 100 rounds, and I saved enough to keep two full mags.

Also shot my step dad's new bond derringer, has .22, .40, and 410/.45 Colt barrels. That thing is a little beast.

4. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Good job, I think you gave me browning fever.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

My name is SUE! How do you DO!?!

ForumRunner_20120219_170613.jpg

My little boy and his Granny.

This little girl is a trip...

ForumRunner_20120219_170739.jpg

My niece and Pop-pop. (my step dad)

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

It, and mosinitis, are probably two of the best diseases to catch.

7. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Y'all got him to shoot?

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yep. He's not as shy around the grandparents. He was willing to shoot at your place until he realized he'd have to be up on the hill with everyone.

9. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Maybe you sparked an ember today, keep it glowing, he's sure a cute kid.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's what I'm hoping. I've tried to talk him into a BB gun, but he want's a BB pistol. I don't really want to start him out on a BB pistol. Yeah, he shot this .22 single action, but that was just for fun.

I've been actually trying to trade my Mosin for a .22 bolt action, and would you believe a lot of people have turned me down saying the Mosin is a piece of crap? Such close minded imbeciles...

I've looked at my first target pic, and I'm thinking I must have taken that pic after the second mag, because that's way more than 7 holes in the paper (plus the flyer in the wood). But the second pic is later on after I think the third mag.

I've messed the pictures trying to get the extras straightened out, I'll have to try to fix them again when my phone charges up a little.

11. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Great shootin'...you've got a real nice family there Trip.

Don't let the snobs get to you on the mosin...some people think they know, when obviously they don't. You'll run across someone who will recognize the value in a trade.

Kinda like people who bash sks's and WASR's...some people just don't appreciate the simplicity and utilitarian nature of the eastern bloc designs. Their loss, IMHO.

Glad you like your new pistol. :)

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

Well, I can't fix the pics for some reason! I don't know what's up with that crap, but for some reason I can't attach the pictures from my first post again! It's like they've disappeared from my phone or something. I can see them, but they won't appear when I try to attach them.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the Mosin is what it is. it was an inexpensive, reliable rifle made for the masses in the Soviet Union. it was made for war. it was a miltary rifle that was simple and made to shoot. it wasn't made to be a showpiece. after 70-80 years later, those rifles still function just as they were designed to do. they aren't the prettiest rifles, but they are sure great performers. some people just don't appreciate the simple things in life and want to be snobs!

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

My mosin was built in 1938, bore has more pits than Lindsey Lohan has freckles, and still hits beer cans at 100 yards with iron sights.

Ammo? 150-180 for 880 rounds depending on the deal you manage to get.

I know the true value of a mosin! Ha! I laugh at those who call it crap.

I just want something my son can handle.

15. downsouth

downsouth New Member

I've got an old semi I acquired. I'll bring it next time if you like

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

If you think you'd like to swap, sure. I'd prefer to start the boy real good on a bolt action, but I'd take what I could get right now. What do you think about next weekend? I can't wait to shot this 1911 again. I think I'll pick up 4 boxes, or maybe go to sportsman's and get one of their bulk boxes.

17. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Looks like you and your family had a fun range day. I can't believe people are calling a mosin a crap gun, they do know they were a pretty effective sniper rifle don't they? :D
    I'm glad you had fun. Hope you find a good .22 for the little guy.

18. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Yea, I'll be off call so that sounds pretty good if weather permits. The 22 is old, you will need to check it out close. I want to say I have shot it when I first got it. Anyway we'll talk.