Springfield M1A Transformation.

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by Jesse80, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Jesse80

Jesse80 New Member

The intent here is to show how you've changed and improved your M14/M1A. This is a picture of the weapon as purchased. I will be attaching more photos showing the progression of what I did to mine. Gel free to show before and after pictures of your M14/M1A's!!!

Attached Files:

2. Jesse80

Jesse80 New Member

I chose a Springfield scope mount, ARMS throw lever rings, and a SWFA 10x42 scope. It has their patented mil dot retical, which is great for quick shot adjustment, and range estimation!!! The turret tracking is the best I've ever used! ( not saying a ton, but it does work great). Matches the retical very well!

Attached Files:

3. Jesse80

Jesse80 New Member

As you can tell, I've been documenting my steps over the past couple months for you guys. The next obstacle to overcome..... Rising the creek rest to match the scope. First I made a leather one, but I always felt it was a half *** attempt at curing the problem. So I purchased an M14 stock on line for about 25 bucks and decided to use it as the base for a permanent cure to the "raised cheek rest" problem.....

Attached Files:

4. bwraven

bwraven New Member

Good choice on the SWFA. Great scope at a fair price. I have had one on my 50BMG for years.

5. Jesse80

Jesse80 New Member

I sanded it down, knocked out a hunk from the rear and got a piece of Bass wood to carve the cheek rest out of.

Attached Files:

6. Jesse80

Jesse80 New Member

I did a lot of online "research" before choosing it. It is all that people say.... Not a bit disappointed.

7. Jesse80

Jesse80 New Member

Carved and formed with carving tools, rasps, and sandpaper. Some minor adjustments with the dremal, and tapped a
    Couple holes to do dowels.
    (When doing hidden dowels, drill small holes in one side to start with, and slide a piece of pencil led in the snug hole and press the piece onto the stock, causing the lead to show the location for you to drill the opposing hole. )

Attached Files:

8. Jesse80

Jesse80 New Member

At this point I can hear the , WTF's... Wood doesn't match...... The stock will be cammoed, no worries...

I attached the cheek rest using JB weld.

Attached Files:

9. Jesse80

Jesse80 New Member

Sand to form the flow of the cheek rest, and then i had to float out that (wish I could use it) hole in the stock that the selector switch for the M14 came out.

Layed the stock on wax paper, and used a pencil as a flow barrier..... Crude but it worked.

Then when it set up a bit I could use tape to retain the rest and mold it by digital pressure to about the way I wanted it.

Attached Files:

10. Jesse80

Jesse80 New Member

Now sand it down, and wash it under the sink. Let it dry, and wash it again.

Now..... We're ready for paint.

Attached Files:

11. Jesse80

Jesse80 New Member

Taped off the vital areas and primed it with a god awful burnt red color.... I intended on letting it dry overnight, but I couldn't stand letting it stay red any longer than I had to...... It got a first coat of green within thirty minutes!

It was then hit with a "speckled textured" paint.

And left to dry for a week.

No I did't have good patients, I went on Vacation.

Attached Files:

12. Jesse80

Jesse80 New Member

Once back from vacation I cammoed them up. See photos, I won't insult your intelligence with a bunch of commentary.

Attached Files:

13. Jesse80

Jesse80 New Member

Well here is the fished project.

Hope you enjoyed following it. It sure was rewarding to do.

Pondering fiberglass bedding it now.... Might have that one professionally done.

Attached Files:

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

i would have picked wood glue over jbweld. wood glue penetrates the pores in the wood and forms a super strong bond stronger thant he wood itself. jbweld is only as strong as the thin top few micrometers of wood its stuck too. you will prolly have cheek rest and stock seperation at some point. just keep an eye on it.

shoulda bedded it before putting all that awesome work into it heh.

fantastic job!!!

if you can do the wood carving and forming and all the painting you can do the bedding.

15. Jesse80

Jesse80 New Member

16. Jesse80

Jesse80 New Member

Guess I confused the quote application.......

17. PSYCHOFREAK3

PSYCHOFREAK3 New Member

You did an incredible job. Looks amazing.

18. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Awesome job; have you done any of your other guns?

19. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

Looks good. Have you seen the Juggernaut Tactical kit for the M1A?

Attached Files:

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

Dude, that's freaking awesome!