Springfield M1A Loaded

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by JonM, Apr 9, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

well friday i picked up a brand spanking new springfield M1A loaded in .308 nato. took it to the range today and straight out of the box it was 4inches left and 4inches low at 100yds. after adjusting sights it was spot on.

[​IMG]

i truly wish i had purchased this rifle before i bought my remington 700 XCR compact tactical. before i had this M1A i had a norinco clone back in the 90's and its like nite and day.

the M1A is a heavy rifle and would benefit from a lighter stock if your gonna carry it around a lot. the groups i was getting today were superb for open sights i cant wait to get a scope on it and see what she will do. if it performs like i think it will im gonna sell or trade my remington.

fit and finish is extremely good. this is a very high quality semi auto.

[​IMG]

i HIGHLY recommend it. im now a believer.

best shooting of the day with one flier. 200yards 5 shot string 168grn bthp.

[​IMG]

2. vjf915

vjf915 New Member

Nice gun!! I hope to get my hands on an M1A someday.

Looking at the target, I think that the one up top was spot on, and the other four were fliers :p

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Jon,

"Nice Rifle" And you will be amazed with it I am sure. I also have a Springfield NM M1A with a Springfield Scope and they are tops!
    I have shot mine at 1000 yards a few times. It performed well despite the old shooter behind it!!!:D

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Yet again, i am searching in vain for the green smiley of jealousy!
    :D

5. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

I, for one, am not jealous,
    well maybe just a little...
    ah hell, lets be honest...I hate your guts![​IMG]

Congrats, great shooter you got there Jon. I'm Green with envy:D

6. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Congratulations Jon, that is one very nice rifle. ;) Maybe someday the nostalgia will overtake me and I'll possess one myself. In the meantime ... I'll just be jealous :eek:

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Good deal, Jon! The Loaded Model is the best rifle for the money, IMO.

Mine did 1/2" at 100 yards for 5 shot groups with Federal 150gr, but I wanted to scope it and the receiver was way out of spec. Sold it, but should have just put a Bassett mount on it.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

the bassett one is a good one i take it. i just hope it scopes well since they arent really designed to wear one.

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

That is what makes the Bassett the best. It will work as advertised and require no fitting. But for a dedicated scoped M14 you may want to step up and get an LRB M25 (for your next M14). All mounting problems solved.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

long as the bassett works decent its good enough. i like shooting open sights a lot. im all about multi tasking in my weapons. i doubt ill get another. this one is pretty damn good. im not as in love with it as i am with AR15s :) while its a damn fine rifle its not a AR.

11. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Great looking rifle,Jon.

I love those rifles after I shot the one Lon got from M14sRock.I just can't force myself to buy one.

I shoot too much ammo as it is now,I would really burn it up with a M1A.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

i know what ya mean. i couldnt afford much shooting beyound 22lr if i didnt reload for em.

13. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Congrats Jon, great rifle. The more you shoot it, the more you will not want to shoot anything else.

Jim......

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

well i do know the more i shoot it the more liekly its gonna make me find a buyer for my remington 700 lol

15. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Beautiful rifle. It will hit a head-size bullseye at 500 yards with irons. Green with envy.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

after just one shoot and 30 rounds down range i can see why people like the springfields. its crazy accurate. my 200yd groups with irons were looking like a lot of peep's scoped 100yd groups.

i put an order in for a bassett mount. hopefully it will be here before the weekend. cant wait to see what it can do scoped.

17. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Did you go with the Low Picatinny?

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

no high one it is just a scootch higher my scope has a 50mm objective with 30mm tube and i want to use the irons without taking the scope off.

im used to shooting scope off a AR15 carrying handle it cant be THAT bad lol.

19. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

You should be fine then. Might need a cheek rest. Desert Warrior Products has a very good one for the standard walnut stock.