Springfield Loaded 1911-A1

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by FCross7, Feb 23, 2011.

1. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Finally got a chance to take the Springfield to the range today, and all in all, it went pretty well. I ran 250 rounds through it, PMC and WWB, all 230 gr. fmj, and didn't have any malfunctions of any sort, which I was really pleased with. Just as a side note, this was using Tripp 8 round mags. I put the stock Springer mags in the junk pile as soon as I got the pistol. This is my first time shooting a 1911, and I must say that in my opinion, it is superior to anything else that I've shot, although the trigger is a little on the heavy side, but still breaks pretty crisply. After I get 500 rounds through it, I may try a few things to get the pull weight down. I started off by putting 1 round in all the mags, then 2, then 3 etc, all the way up to 6, then put 8 in the last 2, bringing me up to the first 100 rounds, all of which is on the first target. This was all done shooting pretty rapidly(probably at least 1 round a second, maybe quicker). Then one the rest of the targets, I slowed down a bit. Enough jibba jabba, time for some pics.

First off, just a couple pics of the pistol prior to shooting.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then one post-shooting.
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of the target of the first 100 rounds through the pistol, all shot offhand, pretty quickly, mostly to test pistol and mag function.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Looks pretty good to me. Congrats on the new Springer.

3. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

This is the next 25 rounds, shot at 7 yards, offhand, and a good steady pace, not too slow, not too fast. By far the best target of the day.
    [​IMG]

The is the next 25 rounds, same distance. Not as good as the first, but still not bad.
    [​IMG]

The next target was at 7 yards again, but was terrible shooting on my part so I threw it in the garbage. This picture is the following target, consisting of 25 shots, 10 yards, offhand.
    [​IMG]
    Don't ask me how I got that flier way at the top of the target, because I have no idea. It almost hit the clip holding the target, which would have been really embarrassing.

4. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

At this point the barrel and pistol were both getting extremely dirty, and my hands and arms were getting tired, so my shooting suffered, but I wanted to shoot all 250 rounds today.

These next two targets are the last 50 rounds, shot at 7 yards, offhand. The first two pictures are of the same target, the second pic highlighting the best grouping of the target.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There it is folks, my first time out with the pistol. Even though I've only shot it the one time, it is by far my favorite pistol. Sadly, it's really too big for me to carry. The bright side is that it just gives me an excuse to buy a smaller one. :D

I need to look at the corrective shooting target and see what's causing me to shoot left. It's either too much finger, or too little, I can't remember what.

Hope everyone enjoys.

-Fred

5. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Dang CA, that was some quick posting.

And thanks. :D

-Fred

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Us old guys can have some speed when we want to.

... Or luck. ;)

7. jca1

jca1 New Member

I'm no gunsmith but in my experience a little tweaking on the sear spring can help a heavy but crisp trigger right much.

8. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Nice shooting Fred, looks like the new pistol throws projectiles down range just fine! :D

9. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Good shooting. Looks like a fun day, and very nice looking gun.

10. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Looks good. If you dont mind me asking, how much did it run you?

11. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

@ DoctheRock, it was $795. Came to about $850 with tax and background check. You can find them a little cheaper online, I think OzarkGuns has them for $740, but I didn't have all the cash up front and had to put it on layaway, plus with Shipping and transfer it wouldn't have been much cheaper online.

-Fred

12. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Thanks for the info. I want to add one to the collection and I like the looks of that one.

13. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Fred,

Good shooting, dead bg all day.

I gotta ask, though. I got a Springer Loaded, and it came with an adjustable rear sight and it ran nears 'bout $850, even at Bud's.

Are you sure you did not get the Mil-Spec model?

My Loaded's trigger is nowhere near heavy, while it could possibly be made lighter, it is still pretty light at around 4# from the factory.

14. bigtiller

bigtiller New Member

I can't remember either but I am thinking it is too much finger. Maybe someone that knows will help us.

15. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I would definitely recommend them. I don't really have much to compare it to 1911 wise, but I have absolutely no complaints. And for the price, you can't beat it.

It's a loaded. It's the PX9109LP. It's got novak cut night sights instead of the target sights.

From what I've read the trigger pull on them varies quite a bit. One guy bought two Loadeds, pretty much the same pistol except one was stainless, one was parkerized, and he said he could tell a noticeable difference in the pull weight of the two. I don't have a pull scale, but I'd bet it's around 7ish pounds. I wanna try to find someone I know with a scale.

-Fred

16. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Just found the correction target. It's too little. I'll have to work on that next time out.

-Fred

17. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Nice Springer...great report, thanks for posting. How was the fit and finish out of the box? Slide to frame fit? didn't see any mention of any mag failures or FTFs in the report...thats good news for Springer mag owners...

18. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Nope, no malfunctions of any type. One thing I should of put in the report is that I was using Tripp 8 round mags. I'll have to go edit it.

As far as fit and finish, I don't have any other 1911s to compare it to, and I don't have much experience with them in general, but my guess is that the slide to frame fit is good, but not excellent. It has a little bit of side to side as well as vertical movement, but not much at all. If you shake the pistol, it doesn't really rattle. It's tight enough for me to be perfectly happy with it.

-Fred

19. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Ahh, I did not have the option of the Novaks as I got what the dealer had.

Mine is all stainless, so I am curious as to which your friend found to be the better trigger. Mine, I can't complain one bit and it is nowhere near 7#'s. I don't have a trigger feely thingy either, but the book with it said that the trigger was factory set at 'tween 4.5 and 5.5#'s. I can say that mine is near the low range of that.

Call SA and see what they have to say.

Nice gun, brother.

20. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Luckily there's a pretty good size gun store near my house that has a pretty good selection, and they had that model marked down from $959, to $795, which is a pretty good price so I didn't even have to haggle with them.

As far as the trigger goes, I'm not gonna do anything until I get at least another 250 rounds through the gun. After that, if I'm still not happy with the trigger, I'll look at my options. The trigger isn't bad by any means, I just think it could be better. One thing I was looking at tonight was the Cylinder and Slide Trigger Pull Set. At the same time I'd replace the trigger and the MSH as well, which should help out the pull quite a bit.

-Fred