Springfield, kimber, or ruger

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Jeremy1912, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Jeremy1912

Jeremy1912 New Member

I am already planning on getting my first 1911. I was trying to decide between the Springfield, kimber, and ruger. All full size models. Out of the people that have them what are your opinions on one over the other and why? I also looked some into the S&W as well but that one is a little bit out of my price range lol.

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Only ones i've had is a Springer & S&W - both ran 100% with the S&W being my favorite :cool:
    BTW- Kimber & S&W are ABOUT the same in price :)

3. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I know that springfield has a good proven 1911. there is a short supply of the Ruger 1911, some shops have a waiting list for them.from what ive heard the Ruger is a pretty decent 1911..i wont comment on Kimber.

4. Jeremy1912

Jeremy1912 New Member

Really? Most of the smiths I have seen even the base ones were over 1000 and the Kimbers were between 700-800

5. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I recommend either Springfield or Ruger, but not Kimber. I do not like the fact Kimber only offers a 1 year warranty on all their firearms, and can be very anal about doing repairs and such. Both Springfield and Ruger offer lifetime warranties, and I have experience with both companies. Their customer service is great and they make fantastic firearms.

6. Paperpuncher

Paperpuncher New Member

I agree, then they hide behind the "500 round breakin period" as an excuse for most everything. Or your "not using the recommend ammo" for any other malfunction.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

I was looking at 1911's about a week or two ago, and brought up the one year warranty to the dealer. He tried to tell me that one year is all any maker gives.

He was really pushing the Kimbers. I almost walked out, but when I told him I just wasn't interested in one he sure up about it real quick. I was able to forgive and continue my window shopping.

8. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Kimber offers a lot of options and some cool features and enhancements that you only get from other manufacturers' custom shops or by sending your 1911 to a gunsmith. So make sure you compare apples to apples. The good news is you probably won't go wrong with any of those that you mentioned.

Kimbers can be a little tight out of the box, especially if you get a 1911 in their "Match" series. They do loosen up nicely after 300 or so rounds.

9. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Trip,how close are you to getting your 1911? Ive been waiting to see a thread on your new purchase.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

im not a kimber fan either pretty much for the reasons stated above. bad CS low QC.

ive tried the ruger 1911 it ran fine on 230grn fmj, it was a range rental gun with acceptable accuracy. just be aware ruger frames are investment cast.

ive owned a kimber in the past i would rank it somewhere south of kel tec offerings.

springfield gets 3 thumbs up. superb fit and finish and if anything is wrong which isnt common springfield will make it right. i rank springfield one small notch under colt.

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'll start sending W2's to my sister as soon as they start getting to me, and it will be about 2 weeks after that for the money to come in. I'm really worried though, because I need vehicle work or a new car for the wife. Both the car and the truck aren't doing so well at all. I'm gonna do my best though, a lot just depends on how much we get back.

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

And by the way, I've decided to get a Colt. Canebrake really got in my head. I just haven't decided on the XSE or the GCT. I also handled just about every make in my price range, and the Colts are just calling to me.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  13. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I know exactly how that is, our income is like that to. My wife has decided that she wants a commander size 1911,so we will 1911 shopping during tax season as well.. So your gonna get a Colt,good deal.you cant ever go wrong with a colt.. :)

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

Man, I put my hands on every one that was in the case or sitting on the shelf, and while most of the ones I looked at were similar in all the options and style, for some reason the Colts just felt better. And in the past I was always one to talk smack about buying a name.

15. MrWray

MrWray New Member

As far as the 2 models that you mentioned, i guess it depends on if you want the more updated version along with the rail that the XSE offers or if you want a more govt looking model that GCT offers..either one will be a good choice.

16. CourtJester

CourtJester Active Member

I have a Springfield and really love it. I'm on the waiting list for the Ruger SR1911 and have been for many months. Probably will be for many more months too so I can't speak to that one. The Kimber is really really really really nice though. I shot one of a friend's and would have gotten that one over the Springfield if the price difference wasn't so high.

17. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Got my SW1911PD for under $900 at Buds...great gun! Springer makes a good 1911 as well. Have heard mixed reviews lately on the Kimbers. Remington has a newer 1911 model that sells mid $600 or so.

Smith & Wesson SW1911PD .45acp 5" Blue, Novak Sight, Wood Grip

18. ANGRYcanary

ANGRYcanary New Member

I personally carried a colt. It was far better than the originally issued Beretta 9mm. It saved my life- more than once. I have shot my brothers Springfield and it is by far one of the best I've ever held. But I just got a Glock 30 today from the fiance so I'll get the full size to match that. Sorry... I digress... Of those you suggested... My vote would be Springfield I think they are almost as good as a Colt.

19. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I have had ZERO problems with my Kimbers. LAPD SWAT approves of Kimber too, since they nominated Kimber their side-arm above all the rest. And, I can assure you the LAPD SWAT Team abuses their test weapons to extremes you can't even dream of. I also have Kimbers that are ten years old, and have NEVER needed "warranty" work...

There many 1911's out there, and you simply need to chose the one YOU like... and you can afford. But don't go bad-mouthing Kimbers, after-all they are made in the USA 1911's.

20. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

+1 ^.
    I am not looking to start an argument here, but I have two Kimbers and have never been more pleased.

My Tactical Pro II is 6 years old with 3,000+ rounds through it. Never had one failure of any kind.

My CDP Ultra II is only a month and a half old with 370 rounds through it, and it has never had a failure either. This has become my every day carry gun.

I have never needed to contact CS so I cannot comment on that, but as far as their firearms go my first hand experiance has been great.

I'm just saying, mine have been great and I will buy another.