"Springfield" issues, gun by J. Stevens

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Sebasguns, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Sebasguns

Sebasguns New Member

I have this real old shotgun. I mean it doesn't have a serial number. well here comes the fun part. It wont always eject the spent 12 gauge shells. i have determined that the cartridge swells after the it has been shot.(is this normal) that seems reasonable, and there are no dents in chamber, however it then fails to eject. I have used solvent and remi spray oil on the spring and ejecting device. and i pray that it is the ammo but would like to know what you all think. Has anyone come across this issue before? is there any way to solve the issue without installing a ram rod attachment

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Sebasguns,

The first question would be when you shut the action and it locks into the closed position is there a lot of movement between the barrel and the receiver? If so that is in most cases the issue. Too much head space and the casing is swelling. I am assuming it is a breakdown model not a bolt? Some pictures would be good.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

"Real old"- Serial numbers were not required on rifles and shotguns until 1968, so don't go too much by that.

Yes, excessive headspace may give you troubles- so could using the wrong length ammo. If barrel is not marked with length of shell, would have a smith check the length of chamber with a gauge. 12 g shells were not always 2 3/4 or 3 inch.

If headspace and chamber length are ok, you can try polishing the chamber. Nothing more abrasive than several layers of cloth wrapped around a bore brush, a dab of J-B's Bore Shine, and a drill.

4. Sebasguns

Sebasguns New Member

i will try to upload a picture today, i haven't noticed much movement but i have been more considered with the spring. however the size of the ammo is labeled as 2-3/4 and that's what i have been using. I will give polishing it a try

5. Sebasguns

Sebasguns New Member

here are the images of the gun

Attached Files: