Springfield GI

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by USMC-03, Jan 7, 2011.

1. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

I recently aquired a Springfield GI 1911. It has been my fathers for a few years and he decided to pass it to me. I have heard these guns do not like hollow point ammo due to the feed ramp. We have always shot FMJ rounds through it and for the most part that's probably all I'll use it for. Just out of curiousity though, if I decided to load it up for self defense what do you think would be a good round in it?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Sometimes you may get lucky and it will feed some hollowpoints. Try it.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Just try several types until you find one it likes. CorBon Pow'rball feeds just like FMJ because of the plastic? ball in the hollow. Polishing the feedramp will help it feed better as well.

4. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

If it's an older one that's been shot a good deal it might feed HP better than you think. I'd not try the wide mouth Cor-Bon type stuff but there are some Winchester rounds with a smaller HP. I've had good luck with the Hydro Shok in a couple Gi'ss well. Shop around and get a few different kinds. I'm sure there's one that will do just fine.

Older pistols have a pretty nice polish on the feed ramp from lots of use. So it might like to eat them and it might not. But I would try it. I've owned a few 1911's that I was told they would not feed and I went on to find they did just fine.But I'd stay away from the types that have a larger opening on the end.

5. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

How would I go about polishing the feed ramp? I plan on trying the powerball and hornady critical defense load. Thanks for the info.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Try before polishing. If it does not work, PM me. I have a PDF that might be of use.

7. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I have a GI that I keep Extreme Shock EPR frangible rounds in, they feed just like a hardball because of the plastic tip.

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

As been offered- TRY SOME :rolleyes:
    Only way to tell-------

9. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

I'd love to try a ton of rounds but unfortunately I cannot afford to buy ten different brands of ammo to try at the same time. I will try out the rounds I shoot in my other .45's which are Golden Sabers and Hornady TAP...but if they don't work I cannot afford to be spending a couple hundred bucks on several boxes of amm to try...which is why I asked here if anyone had experience with this gun and what type of rounds worked. I'll most likely get the powerball for it if my others do not work. To all that posted something helpful, thanks.

10. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Me I used Jewelers rouge and a piece of cotton cloth and a pencil or dowel. Dan says he has a PDF you might want to look over that and get some more of the fine points. Just don't get a dremel out on it....please?!!??!!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  11. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Haha a dremel will never make it's way to any of my guns.

12. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Man..you would be surprised just how many people I've seen or read about doing it. Shame to do that to a 1911...Or BB gun..heh

13. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

usmc03, disassemble the gun, get a piece of crocus cloth (about 8 x 10" sheet), tear of a 1/2" strip longways, run the strip through the magazine well and over the feed ramp and holding one end of the strip in one hand and the other end with the other hand, draw it back and forth like polishing a shoe.

do the same to the ramp on the barrel by running it through the barrel.

14. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

I own a Springfield GI, 4" that has digested every kind of ammo I have fed it. The only modifications I have made is to polish the ramp and replace the sights with some that my 64 year old eyes can actually see. I stocked up on Wilson Combat 8 round magazines which work great. Never a misfire, FTF, or FTE.

CorBon's PowRball is a great choice for feeding and terminal effects. Same for Federal EFMJ (Expanding Full Metal Jacket) but their "plastic" is covered by a thin layer of copper jacket. EFMJ looks like flat nose metal jacket, but the copper covering collapses and starts the expansion when the metal meets the meat. Hornady Critical Defense is another good option.

For budget considerations, there is one school of thought that suggests that even .45 fmj is a great choice for self defense because you are starting out with a big bullet. The 1911 was designed to work with 230 grain FMJ, so that should be a natural. Some of the lower cost white-box hollow points have a smaller cavity and may feed better, but expansion for defense may be "iffy". Polishing the feed ramp is a good idea.

15. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Step one is to get some quality mags. Sadly, the factory mags that come with most 1911s are 1 step above junk...

16. silentghost

silentghost New Member

I run Carbon PowerBall through mine, and I used to use Remington Golden Sabers without any problems as well. The EFMJ is also a consideration however you MAY experience an issue. One more thing to consider though. FMJ .45 has been effective for a LONG time.

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

1911s are like early Harley Davidson's, no two are alike. Take the advice you asked for and shoot a variety of ammo to find what your harley likes. Trust me; it's the only way to make her happy.

You are going to attack the feed ramp based on, and I quote, "I have heard these guns do not like hollow point ammo due to the feed ramp." ????

Why in god's (JMB) name would you attempt to correct an issue that you have not collected empirical data demonstrating a defect?

You hesitate buying different ammo because of price but never considered what repair to a botched feed ramp (fix?) will cost.

Most feed issues are a result of poor/lack-of maintenance. Clean the gun, NOT with crocus cloth, lube it and go collect some data.

If there is still an issue, go buy a Tripp mag and see if that fixes the problem.

Shoot the damn thing to find out if there is an issue. (empirical data)

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

STOP!

You are NOT really suggesting to run crocus cloth through the barrel are you??

[​IMG]

19. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Well..maybe just a few swipes with some 80 grit on a high speed drill or dremel. you know it's the only way to ensure it wont like one ammo over another. An anorexic 1911!:eek: It wont eat anything!!!:eek: