Springfield GI opinions

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Stevie, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Stevie

Stevie New Member

What is the consensus on the 5-inch Springfield GI model? I have an XD but in a perfect world I would have a GI style 1911.I just love the looks of a box stock classic 1911.

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Great gun, I've owned a couple of them. If you truly want a GI with the tiny sights - you can't go wrong. The difference in price between the GI and the Milspec isn't much and the better sights on the Milspec are worth it...

3. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I have the GI and I love it. I also have a thing for stock 1911's with arched mainspring housing, lanyard loop, etc. Having said that, i will say that I do wish it had better sights.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Great pistol. You won't go wrong. I opted for the MilSpec as it had a few items I preferred.

5. utf59

utf59 New Member

Three of us bought Springfield GIs. Two were the Lightweight Champion model, one was the full-size government. One of us was happy and still has his Champion.

Mine frequently failed to feed and failed to extract, even after 600 rounds. I sent it back to Springfield. And let me say here that their customer service is nothing short of stellar — they were friendly, professional and prompt. They polished the feed ramp, replaced the extractor, and either polished or smoothed out the chamber. It worked better, but I still didn't enjoy it at the range, much less would I have trusted my life to it.

I have heard good things about the Mil-Specs. If they're true, they would be worth the extra money.

And yes, the sights on the GI are tiny.