Springfield GI .45

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by SafariSam, Nov 30, 2011.

1. SafariSam

SafariSam New Member

What is your opinion of the Springfield 1911 GI .45?

2. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

Mine is accurate and functions perfectly. I got it about 6 years ago for $480.00. A really nice gun.

3. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

It's basically a no thrills plain jane replica of the 1911A1 issued from 1924 there on. I have the Springfield Mil-Spec 1911A1, which is basically the same handgun, it just has a 3 dot sight system instead of the replica A1 sights and does not have the laynard loop on the bottom of the mainspring housing. I thoroughly enjoy my Mil-Spec and I highly recommend it if you're looking for a high quality 1911 that will not break the bank.

4. utf59

utf59 New Member

I bought one, as did two of my friends. Of the three, one has been flawless. The other two were trouble. I sent mine back to Springfield (great customer service, BTW). It was better when they sent it back, but it still had function problems, so I got rid of it.

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Bought one, broke it in, keep it clean, keep it greased.

A fine example of a 1911A1. Dependable, accurate, and fun.

A favorite.

6. CD Woods

CD Woods New Member

Springfield 1911 A1

I've got two (2) of these as a matching set and love them both. Basic good to go, rugged .45ACP.

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

A while back I got to do the Bruce Willis "Last Man Standing"

thing with a pair of these, at a private range,

one from an acquaintance and mine.

It was fun, and surprisingly accurate, and easy to

control.

Talk about your gunpowder therapy, I could feel my

blood pressure dropping as I was blazing away.

8. CD Woods

CD Woods New Member

.45 ACP's

Oh Damn, did you ever just put an idea into my next range day. What's even better, I have 4 x 15 round magazines. This is going to cost me some ammo, but I bet it will be fun.....LMAO!

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Springer is one of the better 1911's - Nuff said :rolleyes:

10. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I rank Springfield just behind Colt ;).

11. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

I've owned one for about 6-7 years. I got the 4 inch version, and the only complaint I had with the pistol was the itty-bitty G.I. sights. I replaced them with a fiber optic set, which I can actually see. The gun is a very accurate, reliable shooter. A sometimes carry gun. I stocked up on a supply of Wilson Combat, 8 round magazines, and have never had a malfunction.

Since they are made in Brazil, I wonder if it is really a Taurus, but who cares? It's a good, reliable gun.

[​IMG]

12. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Yes, they are made in Brazil, but my understanding is that they are made with former Colt machines and equipment.