Springfield EMP 9mm

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by newbolddm, Sep 9, 2012.

1. newbolddm

newbolddm New Member

I was looking for a gun to meet several criteria and bought a used Springfield EMP 9mm with G10 grips. The criteria was: compact 1911, stainless slide, 9mm caliber, around $1,000 budget. I like to shoot my guns and wanted a caliber I could afford to buy in quantity. I wanted the stainless slide so that it would be less likely to scratch up. I also wanted a fairly respected brand that would be likely to hold up with a lot if use. My local range called me when this used EMP was traded in to them. I picked it up for $950. It looks nearly unfired. Not a scratch or wear mark on it.

Well... After a little shooting it failed to go into battery... A lot. The slide would sort of hang back and move forward with a long hesitation. It also kept failing to lock back after the last round.

My dealer is sending it back to Springfield for me to see about fixing this problem. Am I correct in thinking that this has been a common problem with these guns but also that Springfield usually does an excellent job at fixing them and making them run right if returned to them for work?

image-1154095504.jpg

2. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

3. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

Not sure about your issue, but congrats on the gun. My experience with SA customer service was excellent.

4. newbolddm

newbolddm New Member

Thanks. Hopefully my experience will be good and the gun will come back working great. I hope so. I really like this gun and want it to work good so I'll keep it instead of having to trade it.

5. newbolddm

newbolddm New Member

Thanks! You'd never know it was used. If they get it working goof then I'd say I got a pretty good deal on it.

6. newbolddm

newbolddm New Member

Good not goof.... I need to proof my typing before posting. Lol

7. kwwms

kwwms New Member

I have a 9mm emp and about 1200 rounds through it....can't remember it ever failing to cycle. I also like this gun and one of my better purchases. Been trying to find black rubber grips for it but as far as I can tell no one is making them.

8. newbolddm

newbolddm New Member

It turns out that my local dealer had their gun smith do the work on the gun. I got the gun back a few days ago. 100 rounds fired through it and I had no problems at all. He said that the gun was very tight to the point that it would not cycle freely each time it was fired. Whatever he did it seems to have done the trick. It seems smooth as silk now. I am very relieved.

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I bet he replaced the recoil spring.

10. newbolddm

newbolddm New Member

They mentioned something about boring it out. I don't really know what that means. I did notice the inner part of the slide and the barrel were very polished up looking. The feed ramp too but I expected that would be done.

11. Hollander

Hollander New Member

Congrats on the purchase. I have had mine for over two years with never one problem. It is a great shooter and will make you look better than you sometimes might be. I also had the 4o but traded it since it was too heavy for carry (imo). Bought the microcompact loaded 45. Same exact size as the 9 and fits in the same holster. It had an issue at first and Springfield fixed in less than 10 days and sent it back with another new mag as well. Love Springfield guns and I hope you enjoy yours as well.

12. smithkowitz

smithkowitz New Member

I have shot the SA 9mm EMP didn't much care for it, as I thought I would. Instead I bought a 40S&W EMP and it has been nothing short of excellent. Some of the most accurate shooting (chained holes) free hand I have ever done @ 22.5 feet / 7.5 yds. It has functioned flawlessly, no matter what type of ammo I run it with. The 9mm I shot was a rental and was having problems similar to those mentioned here.

13. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I looked at the EMP for awhile, but the fact that it requires Springfield mags made me look instead at three other pistols for the same purpose:

Colt Defender 9mm
    Colt New Agent 9mm
    STI 3.0 (Lawman or Spartan)

Each of those you can buy mags from anybody and not rely on Springfield for their mags.

Springfield customer service, though, is GREAT!

14. smithkowitz

smithkowitz New Member

Just out of curiosity, why don't you like SA mags? They are not made by SA, they are by Mec Gar of Italy; haven't had any function issues at all. In addition, if you buy a New EMP, Springfield includes an one time deal to order additional mags, and few other items for a pretty steep discount. I have 5 mags for my EMP, can't remember for sure, but I think the 2 additional were like half price or $12.50 each. It came with 3 mags new.