Springfield EMP 9mm & Herter's Ammo

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Brad_CCW, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

Has anyone else shot this combination? I'm having a lot of misfires. But if I use a different 9mm they shoot fine. On the other hand my EMP shoots any other ammo I put in it. Sounds like my main spring is a little weak but maybe the ammo is borderline too.

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Hard primers in that ammo. Sounds like that gun and that ammo don't mix.

3. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

Ya. I thought the ammo had gone bad in storage but I got some new boxes and it's the same. Mostly just curious if this is normal for the EMP or if a new spring would help.

4. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I bought some herters ammo a while back because it was on sale. My father in law and I went shooting and he was using his Lc9 and he had a few that wouldn't ignite the primers. I'm sure the primers are "harder" but I looked like the firing pin wasn't hitting hard enough. I striped the slide and found junk around the firing pin. Cleaned everything oiled where I normally do on my wife's Lc9 and it shot everything after that. How many rounds do you have through your EMP? Maby it just needs a good cleaning.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

On micro 1911s, it is normally recommended that recoil and firing pin springs be changed more frequently than a full sized 1911. Some companies recommend change be made at 800-1000 round count. Also periodic cleaning of the extractor and firing pin area.

6. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

I'm sure I'm over 1,000 rounds by now. I'd be surprised if a 9mm needs new springs that early, but it's certainly worth looking into. Thanks.