Springfield Armory 1911 RO??

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by fupuk, Jan 3, 2012.

1. fupuk

fupuk New Member

My oldlady said shes gonna get me a new handgun and i have a limit of $1000 to do what i please and im looking for my first 1911. Ive been looking at 1911's for a few months now, and last night i was online doing more "research" and i like the springfield but havent handled one yet. Im wondering what everyones thoughts of this handgun are? Pros and cons. Thanks

2. JPGunworks

JPGunworks New Member

A couple of years ago I picked up a used Springfield 1911 Mil-spec for around $550. After shooting horribly with it, I hit Youtube for some lessons, and within three trips to the range I was tapping 10" targets at 100 yards from the kneeling position with it. Perhaps it's just the "Mil-Spec" model but it has one of the stiffist recoil spring that I have ever seen on a pistol. I recently started reloading and judging from my expanded casings, the chamber is a little loose. I don't know if that's wear and tear or another "mil-spec" rugged reliability feature. I have never had any type of malfunction with this weapon. I'd give your Springfield 1911 purchase a thumbs up, I've enjoyed mine.

3. RMP1394-RLTW

RMP1394-RLTW New Member

I got a ridiculous deal on my RO just over a year ago ($499.00). After owning this gun for a year I would have no problem spending the current price or more for one. You will not be disappointed!

Ryan...RLTW!

4. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

I have had the pleasure of shooting one. Although it was only 10 rounds, I wouldn't hesitate in buying one. My first time shooting it, and only my third time shooting a 1911, I key-holed 6 or so of the 10 rounds. I give it a thumbs up!

5. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Im hoping to go to my local gun store and see what thay have on thursday. And im gonna be looking at kimbers also. Dont know whats gonna be in my price range but i sure do love looking at all those nice guns in the cases.... It should be fun.

6. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a RO and love it. the little extras they did on it are worth it. That being said, with the budget you have you will be able to get a very nice 1911 whether it is a SA or Colt.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

If the choice comes down to the RO or a Kimber, I'd go Springer hands down!

In your price range you should have a look at the Colt Gold Cup. But that's just me. [​IMG]

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  9. PSYCHOFREAK3

PSYCHOFREAK3 New Member

I have a RO and while I do love it, I am still not a huge fan of the sights that come on it, but that's just me.

10. Olympus

Olympus New Member

If they made them in something other than parkerized, I would buy one. I just can't stand parkerizing. That's a major con for me.

11. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

The Range Officer is a pretty good 1911 for the money. The only problem with them that I'm aware of is, they can be hard to find. Not as hard as the Rugers, but not exactly growing on trees.
    As for the sights, I have a Trophy match with the same sights (as far as I can tell.) I'd prefer that front sight was painted w/ flat back vs. the semi gloss that it came with. Nothing a bit of model paint wouldn't fix. Aside from that, they work fine.
    I'd also go SA over Kimber. First, I think SA is a better value. Second, I can't get past the one year warranty on a "premium" brand 1911.

12. fupuk

fupuk New Member

So i didnt get to go to the range this morning. Last night was not a good night. Bad tooth ach and no sleep. Im gonna get my range bag ready in a few minutes so i can head out to the range in the morning. Then i will be looking at 1911's. Hopfully i find one that i like but i wont be able to get it for a few weeks. But looking never hurt anyone...

13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have an old Springer that I set up over 20 years ago. The only difference between it and the RO is that mine does not have adjustable sights.

It is one of the most accurate in my scant inventory. I've used it in competition and have over 15,000 rounds through it.