Springfield 1911 GI 5 inch

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by JoshH, Feb 29, 2012.

1. JoshH

JoshH New Member

I'm looking into buying a new Springfield GI for $550. I have looked at several lower priced 1911s and wonder how the Springer matches up with the RIA tactical. Also I was told that Springfield has stopped production of this pistol and wandered if anyone knows why or if that's true??

2. JoshH

JoshH New Member

This is the Springfield.

Attached Files:

3. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

No they haven't quit making it. I have the SS version and love it. Great gun to use as a build to. They are behind on production because of demand. BUY it as they are great shooters and hard to come by. I own the RIA tac also. I rate the SA GI as a better gun.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I love my RIA Tacticl & have had ZERO hiccups :cool:
    BUT- Anything Springfield produces deserves a HARD look!
    Also love my XD 45 Tactical :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  5. JonM

JonM Moderator

springfield 1911s are made the way colt makes theirs on machinery sold to imbrel in brazil by colt. i would say there isnt a gun that is equal to the sa 1911 until you hit the colt price points.

6. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Why do I keep hearing and reading that Colt sold there equipment to other companies. RIA is the one I hear the most. I don't believe it for a second. I could be wrong. Prove it!! I'm a major Colt fan but SA makes as good a gun OR better. CS is sure better.

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Have to agree - BUT the one (RIA) i have now is dam close to the Springer i used to have :p

8. JoshH

JoshH New Member

Thanks guys, I like the Springfield for namesake but have heard lots of RIA owners who love their Rocks. They are priced about the same but I would want to change a few things on the springer. Namely beaver tail safety, hammer and trigger. May polish the feed ramp if needed. How hard is it to change these on my own? Do I need to do more than just drop in parts or should I have my gunsmith work on it for a cost? Money is a factor of course :( wish I could drop high dollar on a Colt or WC but just can't.

9. JoshH

JoshH New Member

Oh and is the Springfield frame cast like the RIA?

10. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Colt sold equipment and 1911 pistols to Argentina. The 1927 [1911] Argentine was made on Colt machinery under an agreement with Colt USA. The 1927 Sistemie Pistol was a Colt SA made. The 1917 New Service was also made in SA.:)

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

WTH does that have to do with the OP's question :confused:

12. JoshH

JoshH New Member

:) Hossfly... Yea I'm not trying to breakdown Argentinean guns from the 20's but thanks for the history lesson.. Just want to make sure I can put the extras I want on the GI for a good price. The RIA comes already tricked for cheap.

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Thats why I bought my RIA- Had everything I wanted EXCEPT for grips & magwell- Those I had on hand :cool:

14. JoshH

JoshH New Member

How do you feel about the 3" RIA tactical? Is a 3" to small for a 1911 as far as accuracy goes? This will be a carry pistol by the way. Kinda nervous going that short.

15. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Didn't intend to cause a problem Hoss Fly. Limb Killer said that he was not aware of Colts being Made in SA. Did I do wrong?:eek:

16. Dino1

Dino1 New Member

So does the Taurus. :D

My vote goes to SA.

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if they are priced very close, then go with the Springfield. nothing wrong and not bashing the RIA pistol and i have held them and looked at them, and they seem to be nice pistols. but for $550, i would definately buy the SA pistol. if there was a bigger price gap and a person was on a budget, then i would suggest the RIA. just my opinion.

another suggestion, which ever one you buy, shoot several hundreds of rounds through it before doing anything to it, other than buying ammo or mags for it. one thing to watch for on some of the lesser expensive 1911's is the mags. this is one area they could improve upon, but isn't a dealbreaker to me as i usually buy several more anyways.

18. JoshH

JoshH New Member

I've heard a lot of FTF problems can be avoided with good mags. Think I'll pick up the Springer tomorrow. Beings that I'm in the great state of Utah I should have lead down range by afternoon :) thanks for the line gents!

19. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Nawwwww- Just a little OT :D

20. soapstonekid

soapstonekid New Member

If there is anyway go with the Springfield Ranger Officer.