Springfield 1911 A1

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by centexlabman, Nov 6, 2011.

1. centexlabman

centexlabman New Member

Just put my first 1911 on layaway. Paid 600 out the door, I'm wondering if I got a good deal. Looking around hear I have heard a few term I'm not sure about. What is flared and centered? What kinda of mods can I do myself?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

you got yourself a good gun!! ive got a A1 from springfield that i use as a dedicated 460 rowland gun.

seems like a decent price if its the milspec model. maybe a little high for a gi model.

3. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I agree with Jon. I paid around $650 for my Springfield 1911A1 Mil-Spec and I love it ;).

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Gud price for a Springer :cool:
    As for Mods the skys the limit :D

5. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Don't know as I remember hearing the terms "flared" & "centered". In what context were they used?

As for mods, I'd suggest you shoot it, as is, for a while to see what mods you want/need. Then research what it'll take to do them. Some parts are described as 'drop in', but may still require minor fitting. Myself, I don't trust myself to do anything but change out grips. :eek: I did change out a full length guide rod to a standard one, but ya don't need any tools to do that. ;)

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've heard of lowered and flared for the ejection port. That's a job for a competent smith. There's a huge market in drop in parts for the 1911, heck just look at midwayusa.com, and they may not even be the largest supplier.

I can't wait to get mine, hopefully January.

BTW guys, is $519 for a GI good? How about $570 for a hard chrome GI? These are the ones I'm currently looking at. Springfield Armory.

7. centexlabman

centexlabman New Member

What's the difference from gi and mil spec? It's stainless steel if that matters.

8. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

The GI is basically a replica of the 1911A1 in use from 1924 and on. The main difference between the Mil-Spec and GI is the GI has a lanyard loop on the bottom of the mainspring housing and the military replica sights. The Mil-Spec has a 3 dot sight system and does not have the lanyard loop.

9. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought my Springfield 1911A1 in the mid 90s. I have bought a heck of a lot of hand guns since then, and the 1911 is still my favorite. I hate to guess how may rounds have been fired through this pistol, certainly in excess of 10,000, and it has never required a repair. This is the gun that is on my hip when I leave the house. You are going to love it.;)

10. fmj

fmj Active Member

Great choice and a good deal!! Been toting mine for 15 or more years.
    [​IMG]

11. ET1

ET1 New Member

I want a SS 1911 now that I have 2 that are parkerized. If I run across a $600 SS SA Mil Spec I'll buy it. I love my Springer RO.