Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a never shot 1911 A1 for $250. I know I got a good deal but I was wondering what they sell for. I don't usually see them in shops around here. It has a 5" barrel and parkerized finish. I bought it a couple of years ago and have fired about 400 rounds through it with no problem. I don't want to sell, I am just interested in an approximate value. Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Banned
139 Posts
The Springfield 1911 is an automatic jamming machine and a piece of platypus dung. Word is on this forum that there are many fine 1911s out there. Avoid at all costs. Cheap is as cheap does.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I will disagree that the Springfield 1911s are horrible in quality.

If I had a choice between Kimber 1911s , Smith and Wesson 1911s, Kahr 1911s, SIG 1911s, or Springfield 1911s, I will go with Springfield the whole way.

I will also say that a lemon pistol is possible with ANY manufacturer. QA is not prefect in the least.

If you do have reports that say the quality has gone to sh*t on the Springfield 1911s, please share it, because I am no expert and I am willing to learn (especially when it comes to possible future purchases).

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I will disagree that the Springfield 1911s are horrible in quality.

If I had a choice between Kimber 1911s , Smith and Wesson 1911s, Kahr 1911s, SIG 1911s, or Springfield 1911s, I will go with Springfield the whole way.

I will also say that a lemon pistol is possible with ANY manufacturer. QA is not prefect in the least.

If you do have reports that say the quality has gone to sh*t on the Springfield 1911s, please share it, because I am no expert and I am willing to learn (especially when it comes to possible future purchases).
I'd take the Kimber, Sig and Smith, in that order. At least they're made on this continent, with 2 of them being made in this country.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Sold my Springfield 1911 A1 for $500. It was a good gun though. No complaints.

That said, I would prefer a Sig, Colt, or Kimber... in no particular order

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
Currently, I would have to say not really. Previously, in 2006 to be EXACT, Springfield shipped out several tens ( possible hundreds ) of 1911 pistols WITHOUT Firing Pins. :eek:

It was later traced to a "flaw" in the assembly line. How that happens, *shrug*, beats the hell out of me but they now TEST FIRE their weapons. :D

I think Kimber makes a better bang for the buuck 1911 currently, but Springfield took their lumps in bad Q/A - learned their lessons and have made great strides to reclaim their name.

I would not have a problem is a family member brought home a CURRENT Springfield 1911 for their personal protection.

JD

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Currently, I would have to say not really. Previously, in 2006 to be EXACT, Springfield shipped out several tens ( possible hundreds ) of 1911 pistols WITHOUT Firing Pins. :eek:

It was later traced to a "flaw" in the assembly line. How that happens, *shrug*, beats the hell out of me but they now TEST FIRE their weapons. :D

I think Kimber makes a better bang for the buuck 1911 currently, but Springfield took their lumps in bad Q/A - learned their lessons and have made great strides to reclaim their name.

I would not have a problem is a family member brought home a CURRENT Springfield 1911 for their personal protection.

JD
My entry model Compact was a bad assed little piece for the $700 I paid for it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did not mean to start a war of words here. I love the gun and won't sell it but like I said, I have not had one problem with it. I just wanted to know the value. I carry an XD 40 sub and am now a Springfield guy. If I could conceal my 1911 better I would carry it and trust it to protect my son. That to me is the ultimate compliment. I also think mine is an early manufacture, it is stamped nm1435. Am I right?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Year of production?
It still had the forged steel frame and slide, as well as the 1.25" at 25 yard accuracy guarantee. The SN was KC16825. I bought it early in '01.

It definitely was a Kimber MFG and not a Kimber of Oregon piece.

Come on JD, you have to have seen this picture before. :D

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
My entry model Compact was a bad assed little piece for the $700 I paid for it.
It still had the forged steel frame and slide, as well as the 1.25" at 25 yard accuracy guarantee. The SN was KC16825. I bought it early in '01.

It definitely was a Kimber MFG and not a Kimber of Oregon piece.

Come on JD, you have to have seen this picture before. :D
I have seen it plenty of times Brother, but I had to clarify that we were talking Kimber and not Springfield. Kimber has had their ups and downs, but have righted their ship long ago - Springfield recently had troubles, but have made efforts to make amends with the gun buying public. :p

JD

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Yes, yes...we've all seen this picture and how you sold it for eleven dollars at a flea market to some guy named Watto who wanted to trade his pod racer for it claiming it was the fastest ever built, but you opted for the cash...yes, we all know the story by now...

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
^^ LMAO - Ineff, the inner workings of your mind really must be a dark and twisted ride...:p

JD

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Yes, yes...we've all seen this picture and how you sold it for eleven dollars at a flea market to some guy named Watto who wanted to trade his pod racer for it claiming it was the fastest ever built, but you opted for the cash...yes, we all know the story by now...
Damn nerds...

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
^^ LMAO - Ineff, the inner workings of your mind really must be a dark and twisted ride...:p

JD
Sometimes I wake up from a deep sleep thinking, "That was messed up."

Damn nerds...
The correct term is "geek", sir. Geek. If you can't get that straight, I'm not coming over to fix your computer, and I'll be asking for my Babylon 5 collection back.

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
I know exactly where this thread took such a wrong turn, though I have my suspicions, but damn this is entertaining stuff....

JD

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I know exactly where this thread took such a wrong turn, though I have my suspicions, but damn this is entertaining stuff....

JD
There is a trend that you may have noticed. When the 3 of us coalesce on a thread, bad things happen to that thread.

·
Banned
139 Posts
Cite your sources please.
I own a Springfield 1911 automatic jamming machine. Charles Darwin, in "The Origin of Species 2 - Hot Australian Spring Break Chicks" was examining a piece of platypus dung and wrote, "Sometime in the late 20th to early 21st century, a company will manufacture a pistol that jams often. I expect it will be quite similar to this dung I hold in my hand. Does anyone have a towel?"

1 - 20 of 35 Posts