Springfield 1911-A1 GI model

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by VitSports6, Apr 8, 2011.

1. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

I did a quick search here and didn't see much on them.
    I know it is basically a base model, But still very serviceable, This would be my first 1911 and I can get one used for $400+ It has the "US" wood grips on them, Doing a GIS I get all sorts of pic's, Does anyone know if the grips state the possible age of it, I know its a newer one, I still need to get some details from the seller as well as a better pic, One without the holster :rolleyes: He lives in my area, I just wanted a little extra info so I can make a good decision.

[​IMG]

Thanks for any thoughts.

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

There's nothing wrong with a Springer GI other than the tiny sights and it doesn't have a flared & lowered ejection port. They have forged frames & slides, no firing pin block, and are generally good shooters. Hard to tell age as they've always had the US grips...

3. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

I see, Thanks.
    This would just be another pistol, I don't think it would be for CC'ing.
    The ejection port, Could that be an issue with FTE's or something?
    Firing pin block would be part of the safety, Correct?
    Sounds good on the grips, I saw some pic's that had other grips and some with the US.
    I'm requesting more info.
    Thanks again.

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Without the F&L ejection port, they tend to dent the brass which is an issue for reloader's mainly. The FPB is a passive safety system used by most 1911 makers. Colt calls their guns with FPBs Series 80 and guns without Series 70. No FPB just means it's closer to the JMB standard and has less "parts". The front sight on these (and the Mil-Spec) is staked on (no dovetail) so to get fancy sights you have to have the dovetails cut which can cost some $$$. You can buy better sights, like 3 dots, that fit the existing mountings though...

5. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I have a GI, it's a very good pistol.
    The thing about the standard ejection port is sometimes it will throw the brass straight up and it will land on your head... no big deal, just kind of annoying.

Firing pin block is a safety that prevents the firing pin from moving far enough to strike the primer until the trigger is pulled.
    Traditional 1911's do not have a firing pin block, although there are a few 1911 manufacturers that do incorporate a FPB into their 1911 style pistols, Springfield stays more true to the original design and does not use FPB's.

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Try and find out the round count. That will give you an idea of condition. Check it for operation, look hard at the barrel, check the slide and frame for cracks and look at the slide and frame rails for irregularities. See if they work together smoothly. Dry fire it a few times and see how it feels. Look at the overall condition in general. If you can live fire it, even better. If you have a friend that is a 1911 guy, have him check it out as well.

The Springfield GI is a good, solid, no frills 1911 and it will serve you well if you get a good one.

7. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Excellent, Thanks again guy's :cool:

8. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

The guy(collage student) claims 500 rounds.
    We have a series 70 here at work that I have had my hands on a couple of times, I will have a good look at it, Get some feel for it.
    I'm still waiting on more info.

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

One thing to consider is changing out springs.
    My SA has over 20,000 rounds and will still shoot 5 rounds in one elongated hole at 15 yards.

10. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

I believe I've seen 'em with the cross cannon grips also. Some people who have 'em don't mind the sights, I'm not one of those. Pretty much a gun for someone that saw Saving Private Ryan and wanted one. If its a project gun and you go changing stuff like slide stop,sights,beavertail or thumb safety you had better want to keep it. A gun shop will bring out the Blue Book and that's the price. They won't care how much you've put in to it. So if these are things that you maybe addressing in the future, you might want and wait and save for what you really want. In good shape $400.00 is a good price. Good luck.:)

11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Putting money in a Springer is much less risky than putting money in a Rock Island. Many folks choose Springers as base guns as they have quality forged slides & frames and the lack of firing pin blocks is a real plus to many...

12. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

No, I agree with you NGIB. I just wanted to pass along that a $500.00 gun with $300.00 in parts, is still a $500.00 gun to a dealer.

13. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Thanks for all the info, It looks like the 1911 has sold, Oh well, There is a gun show this weekend, I will continue to look.

14. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

The Para GI Expert is a relatively inexpensive gun that has better sights and is now offered with a beavertail (mine is an early model with no beavertail)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

It's one of the two full size CCs I use. A real comfort at night.

I guess it depends on whether you carry full-size or not...

16. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I have a stainless G.I., it's a beaut. I have a pic of it in my album.

17. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

The GI is your basic, no frills, 1911a1, with tiny sights. It is not made for competition, but is a very reliable sidearm for self defense, or what ever. Made in Brazil. But I feel that if Springfield is willing to put their name on it, it's ok by me.

Do not confuse with the Springfield Mil Spec.

I've had one (4 inch) for about 7 years or so, and carry it once in a while. I ordered a few Wilson Combat 8 round magazines, which function flawlessly. The only modification I've made is to replace the sights with a set of fiber optics which I can actually see. :cool: Excellent shooter, and surprisingly accurate.

[​IMG]

18. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Good info here guy's, Thanks :cool:

Side note, I just traded and shipped off my 9mm Sig P250 Sub-Compact for a Sig P226 .40S&W for I guess I will be carrying full size anyhow.
    The company I had ship the pistol mentioned they have a Semi polished Nickel Springfield .45 1911 A1 available soon, But my wife said I am just getting a new pistol... Oh well.