Springfield 1903A3 & AR15A1 Range Report

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by JonM, Feb 12, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

So it finally got warm enough to get out to the range. 34 degrees. first chance to get the new A1 upper reciever i got from HighPlanesDrifter in action. it was also the first go with my new 1903A3 remington made springfield rifle out. i was still cold as hell but both did very well for open sights. when it gets warmer im really looking forward to sitting down without my glasses fogging up.

with the AR15A1 i used the new cammenga easy mags total of 60 rounds fired flawless function love em.

anyway here are the two rifles. the remington is a 1943 made remington all matching parts. the AR15A1 is parted together from a dpms A1 style upper reciever, a RRA lower, and an M16A1 1:12 twist MPI chrome lined barrel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Continued-

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Here is the range line over at McMiller in Eagle Wis. its a really well run range with active knowledgable and very helpful range officers. very very nice facility.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Continued-

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

Finally the results. i know i can do better once the weather warms a bit and my feet arent freezing and glasses fogging up. but here ya go. these are all open iron sights. i seemed to do better with the 1903A3. altho i did find it shooting way low so im going to have to fabricate a sight blade if i cant find the right height online somewhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the first group was almost off the paper but very tight. the second group i popped the rear peep to 400yds and it brought the impact about 3 inches above the poi where it should be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Looks like a fun but cold day. I'm glad to see the 03 shooting so good. Now you don't have to worry about changing the barrel.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

ya im pretty damn happy considering i ran 50 rounds through it and the barrel stayed pretty clean. now i just gotta either find or fabricate the correct front sight blade

6. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Very nice shooting Jon!! Can't believe the snow and I complain about 48 degrees, wind and rain.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Good stuff Jon. Too cold for me, but good stuff.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

thanks. it was too cold still for me but i been itching to get those two out and try em. 4 hours out there. 2 hours on the 50 and 15 yard lines then 2 more on the 100 yard line. the RO was going like 20 min tween cease fires and there was a lot of peeps had the same idea as me. come out on the first not so suck day we have had since dec 1.

like a dunbsht i didnt think i needed my boots so i wore tennis shoes out here... oh its 34 it will be warm...

9. Vary nice Jon, glad to see the upper is serving well. Cant wait to see the groups when it not so blistering cold.

10. triggernick

triggernick New Member

Hey there Jon, I'm the guy wearing all black (bottom right of the photo) in the photo of the firing line. It was great to meet you and talk rifles and reloading, thanks for directing me to the site!! Nice shooting :D

I'll put a range report up as well!

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

good to have ya aboard here :) it was a great day over all to be out after all the cold

12. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

ill take snow over that any day. but then again it doesnt get that cold for long here.

13. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Jon

Very nice 1903~ I always have a soft spot in my heart for the old rifles. I also have one and love to shoot it once in a while.

14. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

I always loved a good bolt action, always wanted a 1903 springfield just something about the gun appeals to me.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

Thanks :) I bought that one to shoot. Its going to see a lot of range time. The barrel gages less than 1 both ends and I have a new barrel ready to go when that one wears out. If you don't have one I highly recomend them. They are very soft shooting for a 30-06. Very accurate and the actions are very smooth.

16. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

i have wanted to shoot a 1903 as well for a while. going to keep my eye out for one. to touch and feel.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

Learn everything you can about them first. There are a lot of franken guns out there people have tossed together and are illfitting just to get in on the popularity of the 03. At a minimum invest in a .30 cal muzzle gauge. Condition of the barrel is a big factor in price. Condition of the wood isn't that big a deal as stocks are readily available. I spent two months researching 03's before I bought one.

18. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

yeah i feel you on that. got taken on the 1st one not gonna happen again.

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

unfortunately what i need is the E sight and numrich is out atm. :( i check em everyday. typical zero for these is 500yards!! according to the early military manuals. in between wars in the 20's and 30's when the planning and military request for specs was made the general staff wanted a battle zero of 500 yards because of course they were still fighting trench warfare of ww1 with lobbing rounds extreme range into enemy trenches and mass charges. it was common for the troops to shoot open sights at 1000+ yards training for such fighting which never occured.