Springfield 03A3

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Badshot320, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

In the early 70s my father ran across a deal on a few Springfield 03A3s from a VFW post that had been in a fire, he purchased a few of them (as a donation) and resold all of them. 1 was purchased from him by my God father who has passed since and left to me one of them. It was the one being in the best condition with no fire damage. Its a VERY accurate rifle for what it is. I just for s@#ts and giggles killed a groundhog with it at 400yds with factory Wally World ammo just to say I had shot it. I was very impressed with the military flip up elevation sight. But anyway thats off subject, what makes this gun neat is the fact its action is cut for a Peterson Device! Im not a big fan of military weapons nor do I have much knowledge of them but I do know this is a rare piece of history. Not ever being issued to combat my question is: has anyone had the opportunity to fire a 03A3 with the .30 carbine conversion?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The semi auto conversion device is called a Pederson Device- the ammo for that is a specialized round (not M1 carbine- about 30 years too early) I have heard of folks using the carbine adapter with the 1903 rifle with indifferent results- 110 grain carbine and rate of twist for the 30-06 don't match up well.

If you can find an original Pederson Device, you can pretty well swap it for a new Mercedes!
    pederson.jpg

3. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

Even with my misinformation and spelling its still pretty neat huh?

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

It is. Too bad that VFW post did not have a dusty box with the Pedersen Device in it.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  5. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

Yeah well if it did I prolly wouldnt have time between umbrella`d drinks and Mexican sunshine to waste my time talking to you guys if it did. :p

6. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Amen to that!!:D

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Good stuff anyway. :cool:

8. Highpower

Highpower New Member

The nit-pickers must be asleep at the wheel tonight. :rolleyes:

It's not an A3, and it's spelled Pedersen..... :p

Hey -- SOMEBODY had to do it! LOL!

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Jah, es korrect, es E nein O! :pYes, those were neat little gadgets. I have ONE lousy round of .30 Pedersen ammo in my collection- and IT has a cracked case. Close as I expect I will ever come to one of those.

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Oh dang! You caught me, and I even knew how to spell it.:)

11. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Well, I learned something new. Thanks.

12. Highpower

Highpower New Member

PM me an address and I'll see what I can do... ;)

13. Gimpy21

Gimpy21 New Member

hello c3shooter. I just ran across this on a search for Pedersen ammo and joined to share a little info. I have a Pistol that uses the .32 French Long ammo that the Pedersen Device was designed to shoot. I have around 30 rounds of ammo that came with the pistol when I purchased it. In my research I have found that the .32 FL ammo will perform better than the 9mm ammo that is so popular. It hits harder, shoots faster and flatter, and penetrates much deeper than the 9mm's. Easy to shoot and fun and very accurate.
    The ammo can be made from S&W .32 revolver brass. It just has to have the extractor grove turned on a metal lathe, the rim turned down to the diameter of the case body and finally trimmed down to the correct length of the round.
    Some of my ammo has the same crack in the case that yours has. Figured that it is due to the age of the ammo.
    If you have any more info on ammo and where I can find some for sale let me know. If you would like a round that is not cracked, contact me and we may arrange something. It is original and came in the factory box.

14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe the rifle in the pic is a 1903, not a 1903A3. The A3 had a peep sight, the 1903 had the open sights.

C3, IIRC, the Pedersen device used a standard .32 ACP. some military experimental ammo was made by the arsenals with a different headstamp, but I believe it was .32 ACP.

I might be mistaken, but that's what I remember from reading in American Rifleman many years ago.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  15. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

My spelling was spot on the second time around! :D