Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the shortages . I shoot every Thursday , handguns and 22 lr.rifle. A friend I shoot broke out this pellet rifle because of the shortages , got me interested. Did some reading up on air rifle and it's just as big as benchrest shooting. I have a order in for a HW95 in .177 , opens up a whole new world. Anyone out there into air rifles. Seems like my new love.
Chris

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm glad you got into airguns Chris, and I see your enjoying GTA. As I mentioned the folks over there are very helpful and knowledgeable. Any word on when your rifle will ship ? I don't think a lot of folks know how much fun an air gun can be. Not only for target practice but you can hunt small game with them too.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nod
I should have it Tuesday . I find myself going deep into the weeds the more I read up on air rifles , the sky's the limit on how much you want to spend , there up there in price . Springer's are more my speed for now . Thanks for turning me on to the forum , not many books on air rifles , I saw a magazine from the UK but that's about it , mostly all on line . Thanks again Nod , Be Well.
Chris

·
Registered
Whatever tickles my fancy in the morning and what I'm going to be doing
76 Posts
I know very little about them. However, I do have a Walther springer that's next to the front door along with pellets. It gets shot fairly regularly at vermin and has claimed quite a few squirrels and chipmunks this year. I often plink with it off the deck when I'm grilling or smoking.. A friend has one of those he fills from his dive tanks that he swears by. I understand they're kinda pricey.

·
Premium Member
14,628 Posts
I have a Nitro piston air rifle in 22 caliber. Not expensive and works very well. I mostly shoot in my garage. Great for pest control and can take rabbits.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Chris, look into this site. It's a free magazine online and has lots of good info.

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
I bought a Gamo Whisper Fusion Mach 1 last year. It's a 22 cal pellet gun. It has been a great little addition to play with.
Only used for a bit of plinking and the yard pests when they start getting out of control. I really enjoy it!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again Nod , will do. Most on these posts shoot squirrels , I have one in my back yard when I call him " Big Boy" he comes running towards me like a dog and eats out of my hand . Wouldn't think of putting one through his head. Getting soft in my senior years I guess. Looking forward to hopefully Bragg on some tight groups. Stay Well.
Chris

·
Registered
76 Posts
This year squirrels and chipmunks were a plague of Biblical proportions. There was so many squirrels they far surpassed food and amusement. I resorted to one of my drillings simply to contain damage. Even after 63 years of squirrel hunting I still would rather hunt squirrels than deer but this year, my goodness....I haven't seen anything like it since '03 or '04.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I've had an air rifle since I was probably 10 or so. Started with a Baikel .177 and shot heaps of Starlings and Sparrows with it wore out a heap of main springs and then Dad bought me a BSA Meteor Super .177. Again I added to the tally of Starlings and Sparrows but also added rabbits and a few feral cats to the tally as well.
One thing I did learn with an air rifle was that to kill a rabbit I had to get to with in 10 yards or so and head shoot them so I learnt the art of stalking around blackberry bushes and also waiting on rabbit warrens around 10*15 yards away and waiting for the perfect head shot.

I still have this air rifle today and I've upgraded the main spring in it with a Maccari tune up kit which added another 50fps to it up from 650fps. They're a lot of fun and can keep your eye in during those times when you can't get out to shoot so you get stuck into the pest birds or even mice and rats.

·
Registered
76 Posts
While we're on the subject, does anyone know who made the Walther springers?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I keep a Gamo with 4X scope leaning in the window of my 2nd story sun room. It has killed several hundred squirrels in the last 16 years, (house eaters) in the trees about 50 yards out. It has also killed one coyote in the back yard lawn...dropped him with one shot in head. Killed many 'coons, a few possums at night. I keep the yard lit up and they still come out. All the neighbors kill squirrels with pellet guns around me because they eat houses. Gamo makes a very accurate hard hitting gun for the purpose. I've sighted it in at 50 yards just laying on the ground and it will easily shoot a little less than a one inch group. I haven't touched the scope in years. The trigger is crap but I'm used to it. FWIW.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm more than familiar with Walther, I have a few in my German firearms collection, they started in 1886. I didn't know if they made their own or had them made for them by a dedicated air rifle company. Did J.C. Higgins make J.C. Higgins firearms?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
While we're on the subject, does anyone know who made the Walther springers?
How old are you talking?

This is mine from 1962 -

Made by Walther.

This is my serious air pistol - Steyr LP5 -

Here's my backyard 10m pistol - a FAS Model 604 -

And a couple of 1950's Walther LP53s - boxed and mint and STILL shooters....

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Less than 10 years....I'd guess maybe 8 years ago. I had forgotten about Walther making those high quality air guns.

Why, Why, yes they did. Didn't they? :unsure::unsure::unsure: :p:p
I think Marlin made the 22 single shot I had...bought from Sears & Roebuck in 1958 when J.C. Higgins was Sears house brand. I don't know who made their shotguns.

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
Less than 10 years....I'd guess maybe 8 years ago. I had forgotten about Walther making those high quality air guns.

I think Marlin made the 22 single shot I had...bought from Sears & Roebuck in 1958 when J.C. Higgins was Sears house brand. I don't know who made their shotguns.
Marlin made quite a few guns for stores. I've had Western Auto, Sears, and Montgomery Ward guns over the decades.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts