Springer GI issues

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Scratchammo, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

After the long wait I finally picked up my GI, took it home, & after inspection I found 3 of things wrong with it. With every 1911 I load it & rack the slide till it's empty, the first problem was the rounds wouldn't eject. I looked at the extractor to find out that it's too far forward thus not getting a good 'grip' on the casing. Another problem was the mag that came with it, the follower jammed up in the middle of the mag. I had to tinker with it to get the rounds back up. The last problem I noticed was the slide release is very tight. I know that SA has great customer service & a warranty but if I were to send it off what would be the time frame for when I'd get it back? Could I save time & trouble by doing it myself? Should I go ahead & give it a fluff & buff if I fix it myself?

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I don't know what the current time is for Springfield to return warranty work but I'd advise sending it back. It might void your warranty (probably will) if you attempt to fix it yourself and then have other problems crop up later. I wouldn't worry too much about the mag as I always recommend buying better magazines anyway.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

i agree with mr bear. send it back. you might have been unlucky to get one that was made early monday morning when the qc guy was recovering from a bender heh:)

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Don't sweat the mag. Springer mags are crap. Send it back to SA. They have excellent customer service. It will be worth it in the long run and you won't void your warranty.

5. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

And buy another gun while you wait! :)

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Have you shot it yet? You need to throw at least 100 rounds downrange to call it inop. If you don't try, Springer will just tell you to shoot it first.

If it FTE with the first mag, you won't need to run the remaining 97 rounds but your FTE issue is only speculation right now.

You can tell the extractor is "too far forward" just by eyeballing it? Is the firing pin stop installed correctly? Broken? Not sure I've ever heard of a too far forward extractor much less seeing one. They did test fire the gun at build..right?

Ah yes, 1911 mags.

MAG QUESTIONS:

Here's some reading;

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/7-rd-vs-8rd-mags-20342/#post189853

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/1911-mags-11991/#post84558

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/i-bought-kimber-pro-carry-ii-23402/#post230658

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/1911-hollow-points-23957/#post239151

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/i-bought-kimber-pro-carry-ii-23402/#post230885

NO!

It's a new gun...right?

Its their responsibility to sell you a running gun. Remind them of that and send it back!

And the slide release, it's a new gun. Be glad it came tight! It will work-in, or more likely you will learn how she likes to be stroked to release her skirt....uh..slide. :eek:

7. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Agreed you need to sling a few rounds to see if your eyeballing is that spot on. If it's not ejecting wounds then ship the bad cat back. The shop where you bought it will take care of that. As for the mag send it off too and tell them it's messed up. They'll fix or replace it. You didn't look at the meg before purchase? Overlooking something like that but you can see the incorrect position 0of the extractor..Anyway...Most mags that come with pistols are not the best anyway and you will be wanting more. It's a 1911 thing.;)

8. CA357

9. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I guess the verdict is clear, I'll send it away tomorrow. The reason I didn't inspect it prior to purchase was because I back ordered it & I took it home the day it came in. I only wish I brought some snap caps with me but nbd. I guess in the mean time I'll play with my Hi Point C9(Moped Pistol). Thanks for the posts. But one more issue.. Should I go ahead & give it a fluff & buff after I get it back?

10. CA357

How qualified are you to perform the fluff & buff? You can have SA deburr and smooth the innards for a nominal fee.

11. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Cane, your mag suggestions brings up a question, but I won't hijack. I'll just resurrect one of those threads. Could you look for it? "1911 Mags"

12. NGIB

NGIB New Member

How many 1911s have you owned and worked on? A handgun is designed to operate properly at cyclic speed so manually racking live rounds through it isn't a real good test (and a bit dangerous). My suggestions:

Shoot the gun

Buy good mags

Throw away Dremel

13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

You have been given some good advice. Hit the range, shoot a few rounds. If the extractor is too long, you will see that on the fired cases (as a little dent near the rim). Quality mags are a must for any semi-auto. Buy quality mags. Going cheap will not be satisfactory in the end.

My springer extractor would chew up casings, but it never stopped or gave me a FTE.

14. utf59

utf59 New Member

I had a Springfield GI that gave me a number of problems out of the box, mostly FTEs. I fired a couple of hundred rounds through it finding that out, then called Springfield. They told me to call back once I had fired 500 – 600 rounds through it (they were very courteous about it). So I burned up some more ammo, then called back and arranged to send it back. They throated the chamber, replaced the extractor and polished the feed ramp. I don't recall the exact turnaround, but I'm sure it was less than two weeks total.

Their customer service is great.

15. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

Call SA customer service and send it back to them. Give them a chance to make it right.

I bought one of the early SA GI's. It had a real nasty tendency to kick brass back into my face, but my gunsmith was able to fix that in about 5 minutes.

I don't use the factory magazine, but ordered after market 8 round magazines, including Chip McCormick & Wilson Combat. I've never been happy with the teeny-tiny sights, so I am having the above mentioned gunsmith install FIO/tritium sights as we speak, so I can actually see them with my aging eyes. :cool:

Otherwise, I am very pleased with the reliability and accuracy.

CLIP
    [​IMG]
    CLIPS
    [​IMG]

MAGAZINES
    [​IMG]